Chapter 33

I feel myself floating, the breeze of the sky brushing over my warm skin. My hair is heavy and pulls my head down even though my body is supported by warmth and stability.

I open my eyes cautiously and see blue sky and trees.

Wait...what?!

I sit up slowly and grunt in pain as my body aches. I quickly examine my arms and body, feeling for any injuries. Finding none, I run my hands through my hair in confusion.

"I thought I had died," I say in shock, looking around at the empty forest. The breeze rustles the trees and sends leaves down towards me.

"I never said you had to die."

I turn towards the voice behind me and watch Clarissa emerge from the trees. "You did what you knew was right, even though it meant sacrificing your own life. I made sure you would be protected."

I look down at the forest ground and try to wrap my head around everything that had happened. The death of Isaiah and James drove me to kill Baylor. Everything I did was for them and my family.

"So Baylor's..."

"Dead," Clarissa says, coming closer to me. She's wearing a tiara of flowers along with a white flowy dress.

I lean on the tree near me and think through the sacrifices that so many people have made. The ultimate goal to end the war and the eliminate the threat of the werewolves along with people from Rogue dying to protect their cause.

"It's over then. Baylor's pack is gone, Calfur is dead, and now we're safe?" I ask, thinking about what all of this means.

"It's over, Eden, but things can never go back to the way they were before. Someone needs to lead the people. If there isn't a strong ruler, people will turn right back to death and destruction." Clarissa sits down next to me and firmly grips my hands in hers.

"But Baylor's pack..."

"They're gone for good. But there are still werewolves left, Eden. Someone needs to be a voice, a bridge between the werewolves and humans. Things must change."

I close my eyes and breathe in the crisp air. My body suddenly has the urge to turn into a wolf and go running through the woods. I'm just as much human as I am a werewolf.

"Wait a minute, you don't mean me, do you?" I look at Clarissa, finally realizing what she is inferring.

"You are the only one who can lead the people."

"But what about..."

"Eden." Clarissa turns and grips both of my shoulders, "you are destined to lead."

My thoughts immediately turn to Finley. As long as I have him on my side, I feel as though I can do anything.

"Alright. I'll do it."

Clarissa smiles and removes the woven crown of flowers from her head. "This is for you. Take it and do what you know is right."

"Will I see you again?" I ask, watching her stand as she prepares to leave.

She smiles kindly, "We'll see"

And with that, I close my eyes and wait for my return to the people.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Eden, wake up!"

I open my eyes and see Finley staring down at me, a look of relief washing over his face.

"You're alive!"

He scoops me up suddenly spinning me around. I laugh and grab his face to kiss him.

"Where are we?" I ask, looking around to see an array of people and makeshift tents.

Finley sets me down on my feet and brings me closer to him. "After you were taken, all the werewolves followed you out, taking hostages with them. James... Eden, do you know what happened to James?"

I nod sadly and explain to him everything that happened. From James' death to using the thistle box, and finally describing my meeting with Clarissa. When I explain the part about me almost dying, Finley takes my hand and gives me a comforting squeeze. His face shows kindness as he tries to comprehend everything I had gone through. As I tell him what happened, his face goes from anger to sadness, and eventually to a look of hope. He looks at me and smiles gently.

"You are going to lead us." He states in awe. His fingers begin to brush through my hair as he examines the flower crown and gently runs his hand on my back.

"My precious Eden," he states, looking into my eyes. He grabs me tightly and we kiss again, this time it's celebratory as we know things are going to improve.

"We have to introduce you to the people," Finley states, grabbing my hand and pulling me down the grassy hill toward the colorful tents.

"Finley, can you help me get their attention?" I ask suddenly, seeing the wary faces of the people nearby. "They trust you. To them, I'm unfamiliar, but you, you grew up with them."

Finley nods his head and shouts loudly at the tents for people to gather around. People of all ages begin to flood the grassy field many of whom seem injured. Among the people, I see Zeke, who makes his way rapidly through the crowd to embrace me. I share a look with Finley.

One of us has to tell him.

Finley nods his head knowingly and gently takes him aside to break the news about his brother.

"Hello everyone. My name is Eden." I state, speaking before the fear can take over. "As many of you know, I am a female werewolf. Not only that, but I was also Baylor's mate."

As I say this, murmurs and whispers rush through the people.

"That's right, was." I stop for a minute, inhaling deeply. "Baylor is dead."

Cheering rises from the people and I watch as many of them begin to shed tears. "Baylor and his pack have been eliminated. There shall be no more terror, no more wars, and no more violence. We need to stand united, both werewolves and humans, as we enter a time of peace and tranquility."

Finley gives me a supportive smile before I continue. "There is still so much we don't know about our vast world and what remains of other werewolves. And to make it through this, I want to lead." Murmurs once again rise from the crowd but I raise my hand, silencing many of the voices.

"Clarissa, the original female werewolf, has chosen me to lead you all. And I promise I will do everything in my power to protect and guide you. We have all experienced loss. Whether that be your family or friends," I look at Finley and Zeke as I say this, "we will rise above. WE ARE STRONG. WE ARE ONE!"

I end shouting and the crowd suddenly erupts into cheering. People begin clamoring toward me and people grab me, hugging me, shaking my hand, and thanking me. Thankfully Finley swoops in and grabs me before I can be trampled and we step away and watch the crowd celebrate together.

"You did it," Finley states, looking at all the people. I think about everything we've gone through and all the people we've lost along the way.

I look at Finley, "You'll stay with me?"

"Every step of the way," he says, smiling.

And with that, I look toward the horizon, my eyes filled with hope and my heart with joy.

It's time to make things right.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The End