ii. "bitter but sweet, like dark chocolate"

( chapter 2 )

in which she puts the bi in bitter

THE RAIN HAD slowed to a slight drizzle as the two girls sat with their drinks by the window

THE RAIN HAD slowed to a slight drizzle as the two girls sat with their drinks by the window. Sadie smoothed her orange locks as she removed her raincoat. She blushes at the feeling of Jane's blue eyes watching her. Sadie takes a sip of her chai latte as she scoots her chair in. "So", Jane starts, stirring her coffee, "what were you doing out in this dreadful weather"?

Her companion gasps in surprise. "You don't like the rain?" she asks incredulously, a solemn eyebrow raised. Jane shrugs, her brown hair falling across her shoulders elegantly. "I just think it's, I don't know, depressing". Sadie mocks a look of over exaggerated shock, a freckled hand to her chest.

"Miss. Jane, I'm afraid we can not be friends if you dislike the most beautiful and amazing thing on this earth!" Jane giggles, giving Sadie butterflies. Don't think like that, Sadie, she scolded herself, stop it.

"Stop evading my earlier inquiry, Miss-?" Jane stops.

"Sadie", the redhead answers, "My name is Sadie".

She flips her hair over her shoulder, resting her chin on her palm. "And I was avoiding the dreaded task of schoolwork". Jane nods, taking a sip of her still steaming coffee. "Also, going back to our other discussion, how do you not like the rain?" Sadie smirks.

Jane just sighs, mockingly rolling her eyes. "It's just, like, it feels as if everything bad happens when it's raining. Although it does help things grow. I don't know, it's bitter but sweet, like dark chocolate." Jane rambles, her eyes wandering out the window. Sadie just watched her, engrossed in her delicate features.

"I put the bi in bitter", she suddenly blurts, her face going pale. She hadn't told anyone before but she had just come out to a complete stranger. Jane looks back to her with a smile. "That's clever. I like that", she chuckles. She gently tucks a brunette strand behind her ear.

Sadie looks at her lap, a smile on her face, her hands fidgeting with the bottom hem of her grey shirt. When she looks back up, Jane is scribbling on a napkin, before pushing it across the table with her small hand. Her fingernails are a deep blue, not that Sadie noticed.

"I gotta go", she explains, shaking her phone, "but we should keep in touch". She smiles, standing up and grabbing her coat, "You're pretty interesting Miss. Sadie".

She gives a small wave and a smirk before sauntering out the door into the drizzle of rain. Sadie just watches her in shock, a small warmth growing in her stomach. She gracefully plucks the napkin from the table and puts the number into her pocket.

The rain truly was her favorite thing, but it had a different meaning now.

.✫*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚✫*.

she speaks

I want food

29-30•3•18