9.

*Makes up schoolmates on the spot*

Jeff has eyelids in this story i don't want to hear ANYHTING about him closing his eyes

---

"Are you sure you'll be good on your own? I can go with you-"

"Yes, I'll meet you at the Corpse Tree, you just go and... calm down, okay?"

(F/N) had told you to stay home, too calm down from that newspaper. There was a fuzzy feeling in your head as you grabbed two sleeping bags from the hallway closet, shoving water bottles and snacks into a backpack. Out the backdoor, (S/N) was smoking out at the tree line, no doubt waiting for your mom and dad to leave to go grab more stuff from her room. 

You ignored her as you walked into the woods, following the winding path down to The Corpse Tree. You thew the collected supplies on the ground by the tree, before unwinding the tire swing set up and jumping into it. Staring at the cloudy sky, part of Whispwood, everyone had agreed, as the sky was blue and sunny when you left the house.

~~~

You must have fallen asleep for a moment while on the swing, because you snapped awake as you fell onto the ground, an arm caught you. You looked up to see a girl your age, you knew her from school.

"Are you okay?"

"Uh- yeah, thanks,"

You didn't know her personally, you had two very different social circles (As in you had one friend and she had a whole Cheerleader squad and then some) But she was the head cheerleader and beat up a creepy teacher once. So, you had heard her names and seen her face more than enough times to name her.

Carrie Myers.

Behind her were two more kids from school, her sister Sam and Sam's boyfriend Randy. The head of the Chess Team and the ex-head of the Baseball Team respectively. Sam looked up from the crappy job of laying out tents she and Randy were doing.

"Whose that?"

Carrie looked at you, back at her sister, before back at you.

"What's your name?"

"... (Y/N)?"

"(Y/N)!"

Randy glanced up hearing your name, mumbling something to Sam before walking over, shoulders hunched and looking at the ground. He was a nervous guy even before he quit Baseball, but it just seemed to have gotten worse.

"Y- you're the guy th- th- that had y- your house broken i- i- into right?"

His tall frame with defined muscles caused a small bit of whiplash at how soft and timid his voice really was. You blinked a few times before you responded.

"... Yes, why?"

He shuffled for a moment before pulling a metal bat from the duffel bag he had tossed over his shoulder. Shoving it into your arms as he continued to speak.

"I uh... d- do- don't want th- this anym- more. T- t- take it,"

He gave no time for argument as he quickly returned to Sam's side, helping her with the tent once more. You looked at the bat for a few moments, it was the one that he used on the team, it was covered in small scuffs, but otherwise was in good shape. You carefully put it next to the sleeping bags before looking back, Carrie had joined the other two at the tent.

You hopped back onto the tire swing, even all these years later the thing didn't protest your weight. Whether that said something about your brothers craftmanship or the Corpse Tree's strength you didn't know, or care.