10.

The tension in the air was thick, Jeff wordlessly ate the S'more he had made, Randy had relocated to be as far from the murderer as possible. You blew on your marshmallow after watching it burn for a few moments, resisting the urge to look at Jeff. You could feel his eyes on you as the marshmallow joined its chocolate and graham-cracker brethren. You handed the stick over to him, the gross butterflies in your stomach fluttering about.

You felt sick as you took a bite from the sweet concoction, you decided to pretend that it was because of the S'more.

"... The marshmallows are nice,"

(F/N) attempted to break the tension, watching as Jeff scorched his marshmallow beyond recognition, still looking at you. You spoke next, finally looking over to Jeff, who was now staring into the fire.

"So did you hear... any of what we were talking about?"

Carrie was leaned back against a backpack, staring up at the branches of The Corpse Tree, not even bothering to look at you as she responded.

"Oh, yeah, you three suck at whispering."

It was Jeff who spoke next, waving his burning Marshmallow in the air for a moment before blowing it out. His hand was close to yours, it would be easy to hold it.

"And you're offering me S'mores?"

Carrie looked from the leaves, over to Jeff, and simply shrugged, Sam piped up for her. Handing Randy a marshmallow to eat raw.

"She killed a chick from elementary school,"

Carrie threw a pinecone at her as (F/N) choked on their third S'more of the night, staring at Carrie with wide eyes. The girl put her hands up as she shook her head. Jeff's fingers were resting on top of yours.

"I didn't kill her, I just beat her until she was comatose for a couple... months, is she awake? It doesn't matter, I didn't kill her, I think,"

"... Jesus woman, what did she do?"

Carrie and Sam shared a look, Randy curled into Sam's side, Jeff scootched closer to you. He was pressed against your shoulder, hand fully covering your own, you all sat in silence for a long time before Randy broke the silence. 

"I d- don't r- r- really wan- want to ta- talk about it b- but sh- she deserved i- i- it,"

No one spoke after that, aside from Jeff humming knowingly.

The only thing that drew you all from the awkward silence that had taken over was the snap of a twig. You pulled away from Jeff, turning to see who was there, your heart sunk when you saw the flicker of a Cigarette being put out on the ground. If you had hackles, they would be up as (S/N) stepped out the darkness.

"I get why (F/N) didn't feel like going, and you too, (Y/N). But what's up with you three?"

Carrie stood up. Sam, and Randy both stayed quiet, looking between the looming threat, and you, the one feeling threatened. You looked at Jeff as he reached out with his own poker and dragged your backpack- Bat and all- closer to you. He didn't break eye contact with (S/N) as he did so. She raised an eyebrow at his action, turning her attention to you.

"I'll take their silence as a 'fuck off' ... When did you get a bat?"

"Few hours ago- what do you want?"

You grasped the bat in your hands, not taking your eyes off her, she wouldn't get closer if you didn't look away.

"What can't come check on my baby brother who's having a camping trip out in fuck all nowhere?"

"Last time you did anything nice for me it was because you wanted to borrow my allowance. I'm still waiting to be paid back- so sorry if I don't believe you,"

(F/N) added on helpfully that this wasn't 'fuck-all-nowhere' either, just a sketchy forest by a sketchy tree. (S/N) rolled her eyes at the statement, daring to move forward while you bore your eyes into her. Jeff had stood up at some point, you had followed suite, twisting the bat in your hands before swinging it over your shoulder. (F/N) scootched away from you two, you couldn't blame them.

"And I couldn't help but overhear your boyfriend's confession,"

(S/N) motioned to Jeff at that, who didn't react aside from blinking a few times.

"He's not- Not the point- what does that have to do with you? If I want to... be... friendly with a wanted murderer that is my choice, I'm almost 19, remember?"

(S/N) rolled her eyes at that, stepping even closer, Jeff put his arms out too keep her away from you. You couldn't read his face; you weren't sure if you wanted to read his expression. If (S/N)'s was anything to go on, he was silently fuming.

"And it's not like anyone would believe you, even if you did try to tell anyone,"

You bristled at her when she grinned and pulled out her phone. 

She was recording.

She was recording this conversation.

You saw red, Jeff grabbed your arm to keep you from lunging forward, whispering too you, although you were sure everyone could hear him.

"Don't do anything stupid,"

(S/N) was never the type to take a hint, so she taunted instead of shutting her mouth.

"What? Need the murderer to be your impulse control? You sure you're an adult-"

Jeff's grip on your arm was painful as he tried to keep you away from (S/N), you were too pissed to look at him. Too pissed to thank him from keeping you from acting on what every muscle in your body was screaming.

"Ignore her, don't throw away your future over some snarky bi-"

He cut himself off, (F/N) finished the sentence for him from their spot squatted behind Sam and Randy. Jeff's hands were cold as he tried to pry the bat out of your hands, you didn't let go of it. (S/N) was too close now, Jeff pulled you away from her, shooting her a glare.

"I don't know who you are- but do you have a death wish? This thing looks solid-"

"I- It's m- metal, packs a- a- a p- punch,"

Jeff hurriedly nodded his head towards Randy, who had stood up with Sam, leaving (F/N) the only one on the ground. They quickly joined everyone else as you began to loosen your grip on the bat. She was too close, and she was going to tell everyone- They would believe her- with that recording anyways.

You had to get that phone.

She had the gall to take your glasses off your face, sending the world into a mass of blurred colors. Jeff yelled as you let go of the bat, forced yourself out of his grip, and lunged towards (S/N).