[ 3 ]

I glare at my dorm room door as I wriggle the knob. Seriously? I literally stopped in two minutes ago and put my bag down. My roommate locked me out...again. She only ever does this when she brings guys over. I press my ear against the door and close my eyes out of anger when I hear a male voice. Sexiled once again. That's what I get, I guess, for running downstairs to grab a pack of donuts from the vending machine. Sometimes I question how she manages to invite and pursue a boy in less than fifteen minutes but she never fails to surprise me. Not to mention, it's not even 4PM.

When I agreed to room with Danica, I hoped she'd mellow out a little bit. I heard stories from our mutual friends that she was known for kicking her roommate out of the room to have guys over. I figured that since we're friends, she'd be a bit more transparent and respectful. I assumed that she was just having a wild freshman year. We were friends in high school but apparently she was a completely different person back then. I guess I had hoped she'd return back to her previous behaviors. I was very, very wrong. It's only the third week of classes and I've already been locked out of the room six times.

I drag myself downstairs, checking my phone to make sure I have my keycard. So much for getting back from work, eating my snack, and then taking a quick nap. The least she could've done was put my bookbag in the hallway. Then I'd be able to do something productive. I trek to the coffee shop in hopes of purchasing something loaded with espresso. Upon entering, I hear the familiar bell and smell the familiar mixture of coffee and donuts. My eyes fall on Maya, who looks happy to see me.

"What's up?" she converses as I order an entirely new drink. This one has a lot of caffeine.

"Annoyed," I answer with a roll of my eyes.

"Why?" she asks as she accepts my cash and quickly completes the transaction.

"I've been sexiled yet again," I confess as I drag my hands down my face.

"What? It's 3 in the afternoon," she says as she glances at the clock.

"I know," I retort with a frustrated sigh. "I literally left the room for fifteen minutes to go to the vending machine."

"I'm assuming she does this often?" she notes as she grabs milk from the fridge.

"It's been three weeks and it's happened six times!" I complain in slight exasperation. "This past Saturday night, she tried to bring a guy in while I was asleep. If I didn't get up and switch on my lamp light, she'd have kept going."

"Jeez, was she a random roommate?" she asks with a slight cringe.

"No! We're actually friends! Or we were friends in high school. It's hard to tell now..." I retort as I wave my hands around. "I went random last year and that was absolute hell. Except, a weirder, less sexual hell."

"That's why I chose an apartment this year. My roommates were always weird. Plus, I got sick of living in a dorm room after two years," she responds with an understanding nod. "Also...other reasons." Her eyebrows shoot up and down suggestively and I laugh.

"Yeah, well, my scholarships won't cover an apartment," I respond with a slow shake of my head. "And I definitely don't make enough money with my three shifts at the library."

She gives me another nod. "You're a sophomore, right?" she asks.

"Yeah," I respond as I blow out a low breath. "Not for long, though. I may just drop out if Danica keeps doing this."

"Have you talked to her?" Maya inquires as she looks around the empty coffee shop. Aside from three previously served customers typing away on their laptops, the place is pretty desolate.