[ 17 ]

haha since u guys love surprising me by popping up with 50 extra votes every time i promise an update if i set a goal, here's a new goal: 400 votes for the next chapter. if not, see u in a week. i think yall are going to like this extra long chapter. NOT FOR AN UPDATE BUT let's see if we can get like three hundred comments. i feel like we can. i'm nervous to post this. anywho, author ramble over. also go read the pursuit of felicity. luv yall. bye bye.

The days of the week leading up to Thanksgiving break go by a little too fast for my liking. It's jam packed with exams and last minute projects and my stress levels have peaked by Friday. I've spent every day in the library studying, one day with Maya and another with Aaliyah; the rest I camped out alone with my textbooks. I haven't seen Asa at all this week and the only time I'm going to see him is at the party tonight, which I'm secretly dreading. I know Maya's going to make a big deal of all of us hanging out so sneaking away with Asa might not be possible. She was telling me the other day in the library about how excited she is to have us all together.

I struggle to pick out an outfit in my dorm at about nine o'clock. Aaliyah proves to be no help. She lays on my bed, tapping away on her phone without a single care in the world. I shoot her a short glare when I ask for her opinion on a shirt and she mumbles 'nice' yet again, as if that wasn't her generic response to the last three shirts. I eventually get fed up, ball up one of my articles of clothing, and throw it at her.

"What?" she whines when her phone nearly slaps her in the face. It lands beside her head and she's quick to retrieve it. Fortunately for her, she puts it on her stomach. I'd hate to have to rip it from her hands and throw it in the garbage.

"You're not helping!" I retort as I motion to my closet, which I've been rummaging around in for the last twenty five minutes.

"Asa won't care what you wear. He's literally seen you in your worst clothes ever. I doubt you wearing a pink shirt versus a blue one is going to make a difference," she retorts.

I glare at her before deciding on the first shirt I picked out- a gray one that hugs my curves nicely but doesn't accentuate the parts of my torso that I'm not so fond of. I pair it with a pair of blue jeans that make my butt look nice. She admires my outfit once it's on and nods. "Good?" I ask as I do a spin and she gives me a thumbs up.

"Yeah, he'll definitely sneak you away to hold your hand if you're wearing that," she assures me with an entertained smirk on her lips. I give her a short glare as I start hanging up my rejected clothes. When she finally stops laughing, she throws my shirt back at me. "I think you should make the first move and kiss him."

"I don't know," I retort with a sigh. "I don't want to misinterpret the mood of a situation and just go for it. That'd just make things awkward. Sometimes he's really flirtatious and I think I'd be able to get away with sneaking a kiss; other times, not so much. I wish he would just kiss me."

"Because you're always roaring and ready to go," she cackles and I let out a noisy sigh. "Seriously though, and I don't mean this teasingly, but he held your hand and tried to kiss you once already; he's probably nervous about misinterpreting the mood. I don't think it'd be farfetched for you to make the first move tonight." 

I internalize her words but try not to stress them too much; though I will admit, she does have a point. Besides, any failed attempts will likely blow over during the break. Instead of dragging the conversation out, I tuck my phone in my pocket and nod at her. "Come on, let's get going before Maya blows up my phone and tells me to get my ass over there," I insist as I grab my keys. Aaliyah pulls herself from my bed and adjusts her shirt. We start in the direction of the parking lot and I look to Aaliyah. "Whose car do you want to take?"