[ 22 ]

hey guys i hope your holidays went well. i just want to let you guys know that i've been trying to get as much writing as possible done seeing as i am on vacation, but i've simultaneously been working on two papers, two movie reviews, my school of education application, and studying for a psych exam. so take that into consideration if my updates are a little later than usual. however, good news: i have two new stories that i've been working on, so as soon as the two that I'm writing right now are finished then I have more for yall. :) stay tuned for those updates. anyway, comment and vote and whatnot. <3

I let myself into the apartment and travel down the hall in search of Maya. After finding her room empty, I start towards the living room, where I discover her sprawled on the recliner. "Hey," I greet her and I hear Asa clearing his throat on the couch. I turn to him and feel slight confusion. I was under the impression he was going to be hanging out with Tyson tonight but here he is laid out on the couch with his half-rimmed glasses on and a textbook in his hands. "Why are you here?"

"Tyson cancelled because Aria had cramps and wanted someone to cuddle with. So I'm getting ahead on my homework- trying, at least; I've read this page thirty times." He closes his book, removes his glasses, and rubs tiredly at his eyes.

"Well...do you want to come out with us?" Maya wonders with a hopeful grin as she jumps off the recliner. She somehow managed to convince me to go to a party with her and act as her wingwoman. Though I'd rather be spending my night doing anything else, I can't risk her safety and let her go alone.

The expression on his face is typical Asa- flat and emotionless. "No." He leaves no room for argument but of course Maya doesn't see that, or care enough to acknowledge it.

"Asa, just come to the party with us." He continues to ignore her pleas and stretches his hands over his head.

"No," he grunts once more. "I don't like parties."

"What are you going to do without me or Ivy?" Her demeanor quickly switches when she sees that asking nicely isn't going to work.

"Watch TV?" he replies as if the answer isn't obvious. His hand, which is pointed at the television, drifts to his bag beside the couch. "Do homework? You do know we're allowed to spend time apart, right?"

"Come on." Maya once again switches her attitude. "Someone needs to entertain Ivy while I flirt with girls."

"She can make new friends. Invite Zack or Aaliyah or literally anyone else."

"Come on," she continues to drone and he gives me an exasperated look as if her begging is my fault.

"She doesn't even care if I go! Look, she's fine." Asa acknowledges me with a short wave. Maya tilts so that she's facing me now.

"Ivy, don't you want Asa there?" I decide to be honest, even though I know that a party is the last place he wants to be.

"I do," I confess and his eye automatically narrows at me, "but he can stay here if he wants."

"See? Exactly! Someone respects my wishes!" He turns his glare back to Maya, who crosses her arms.

"Fine. Let's go get ready, Ivy. I'm sure you'll find some cute boys at the party."

"Go ahead, find cute boys, windowshop, I don't care," Asa encourages, "appreciate the merchandise. Just don't buy anything."

I start in the direction of the door hoping to escape this escalating argument. However, Maya decides that there's more to be said so she halts in her spot and gives me a mischievous look. "Oh no, Ivy is going on a shopping spree tonight, aren't you Ivy?" I don't even bother entertaining the conversation and drop my bag in her room, where she eventually joins me. While I rummage through my bag, she gives me a wide eyed gaze. "Please tell me you brought scanty clothes."