[ 7 ]

Hey guys I'm back from vacation. Here's your update.

I scroll along my social media from my spot rolled into a blanket in my bed. I can barely hear myself think with the deafening music my roommate's playing. I wouldn't mind if it was anything good. I just want her to leave so I can watch Netflix. My original plans to hang out with Aaliyah were cancelled because her parents forbade her from leaving the house. It's slightly frustrating because she's 18 years old and in college and her parents are still 'grounding' her. Not to mention, she didn't tell me until after I got dressed and ready. So here I am on a Saturday night, stuck in my dorm. An incoming call interrupts my scrolling and I read the contact: Maya.

"Are you doing anything tonight?" Maya inquires as soon as I answer the call. I stare at the ceiling and sigh. I can barely hear her because of my roommate's music. "Are you at a party?"

"My dorm," I inform her as I plug my other ear with my finger. I shift onto my side and try my best to focus on her words. "But I'm not doing anything. What's up?"

"Zack is coming over and we're all going to see a movie. Do you want to come?" she proposes and I feel relief well in my chest.

"Yes, please..." I mumble just as Danica opens our door. Two girls enter with bags and I want to sigh. I can already tell that her half of the room is going to be littered with clothes. "I'll be there soon."

I jump out of bed and adjust the blankets in an attempt to tidy up. It's not like it matters; I'm going to come back to a clothing tornado either way. I grab my purse and shuffle out of the room, letting the door slam behind me. My ears ring a little from the noisy music, which follows me all the way down the hallway.

Danica is so obnoxious and I sometimes hate myself for not standing up to her, but it's better for everyone that I don't. If it weren't for Maya, I'd probably have snapped on her already. Now, whenever things go bad, I just leave and go to Maya's apartment or the coffee shop. It's not that I'm scared of Danica. It's just that I'm not one for arguing; I'm more inclined to fight, which is why I avoid heated arguments with her. The last thing I want to do is physically attack her in a bout of rage; I blame that coping mechanism on growing up with brothers. Whenever I make passive aggressive comments, she either ignores them or just doesn't catch on. And every time I try to sit down and talk things out with her, she's too hungover or tired to communicate.

When I arrive at the familiar apartment, I park out front and jog up the steps. It's been a little over a week since I've been here but I feel immediate relief when I step inside. It's bad, I know- I've known Maya for a month; I shouldn't be this comfortable coming to and from her place. It's just that she's more of a friend to me than any of the ones I made last year. I reach the apartment door and don't even bother with knocking. Instead, I let myself in and stroll into the living room, where I find Asa relaxing on the couch.

"Who invited you?" he bites when his gaze falls on me. I give him a brief once over in his lying position. He's wearing his usual attire: sweatpants. I try my best to keep my gaze focused on his face as I drop onto the recliner a few feet away.

"The only other person that lives here," I retort in a tone matching his. "Where is she?"

"Shower," he answers shortly. "I haven't seen much of you lately."

"Do you care that much that you notice when I'm here and when I'm not?" I inquire, which earns a loud snort from him.

"You didn't let me finish. I was going to say that I was starting to get hopeful," he clarifies and I laugh loosely.

"Don't get too ahead of yourself," I retort as I kick my legs up. "What movie are we seeing tonight?"

"Some comedy," he waves dismissively. "Zack picked it."