[ 15 ]

hello guys thank you all very much for your wishes of luck on my psych exam. i got my grade back and let's not talk about that. anywho, if you finish this and are waiting for an update, read my other book The Pursuit of Felicity. if you read that, then read another one of my books or just spam this one with comments- yall know i love it. anyway, here's your update. i hope yall enjoy.

This week has been a little easier. Maya and I hung out on Monday and Asa discreetly joined us by sitting on the recliner and listening in on our conversation. We all got lunch on Tuesday - Aria included; there were only three chairs so Asa pulled one up between him and Aria for me, which was a little awkward. On Wednesday, Maya and I presented our history project, officially ending the educational tie that existed between us. And today, Friday, I was invited over again, but for a different reason.

"What should I make? I'm freaking out. What if she's vegetarian? Or vegan? Should I just do pasta? What if she thinks that's bland?" Maya rambles as she searches through the cabinets. Asa watches her breakdown from his spot propped against the kitchen table. He's been here from the start but I just walked in and am already feeling overwhelmed.

"How about you ask her?" Asa proposes and Maya shakes her head.

"No! I told her I'd cook for her and surprise her," Maya replies as she runs a hand through her hair. "I don't even know if this is a date! I can't even tell if she's into me!"

Asa and I look at each other as she continues to pace around the kitchen, occasionally peering into a cabinet that she's already rummaged through four times over. "Maya..." I start, hoping to get her to calm down.

"And I still have to shower! She's going to be here in an hour and a half!" she rambles as she starts to fan herself.

"You go shower. I'll start cooking," Asa insists as he grabs her shoulders and guides her towards her room.

"But-but," she starts to excuse but he keeps walking.

"Shower. I'll cook," he demands and she doesn't fight too much. I watch as he returns to the kitchen and analyzes the cabinets. He purses his lips and starts picking boxes and bags out, creating a makeshift meal. He looks into the fridge and nods. "Great, she didn't defrost anything. I guess this is going to be a vegetarian dish."

I watch as he washes his hands and gets started on Maya's dinner. Apparently, her coworker, Rebecca, from the coffee shop proposed that they hang out but gave no other background. From what I've been told, Rebecca flirts with her all the time and Maya thinks she may be interested. She's been a nervous wreck since they made the plans yesterday morning.

"Are you just going to hide in your room while they're here?" I ask Asa after he washes off the vegetables.

"I don't know," he responds with a sigh. "I haven't thought that far ahead."

"Hang with Aria?" I question awkwardly and he shakes his head.

"She's hanging out with Tyson today," he explains in a casual voice. I give a slow nod as I think about proposing that we hang out. Would that be weird? After our encounter last Friday, I feel like it wouldn't be. Plus, he did say we're friends and he doesn't seem to be the type to use the word friends casually.

"We could always hang out," I blurt before immediately feeling embarrassment wash over me. Why'd I sound so desperate? "You know, if you want."

He doesn't seem as surprised as I expected him to. He simply shakes the strainer to rid of the excess water and nods. "Sure," he confirms and I stare in shock. I didn't think he'd say no but I was anticipating a brief interrogation first. He didn't ask what we'd do or where we'd do it. He just said yes.