June 23rd, 2014

Luke was doing some more grocery shopping today, and he had somehow gotten Calum to come out of the house with him. But, after a while of Calum moaning and groaning about not wanting to walk this much and his head hurting too bad from a hangover, Luke dropped him off at the coffee shop, where he forced Ashton to watch Calum for the afternoon.

"Want something?" Ashton asked in his usual bored tone. "Coffee?"

Calum just shook his head and continued to sit silently in the booth, watching Ashton clean up other tables and serve other customers. He felt like he was having a panic attack, even though he'd never experienced one before. He could remember coming here with Sam only a week before she left, and he also remembered that he failed to realize how bored she looked with the whole situation. The situation being their relationship, that is.

If only Calum had tried a little harder. If only he'd made their adventure go on a little longer.

"Mum, can I take a break now?" Calum heard Ashton call over a counter top, which separated him from where his mum usually stood. After receiving a nod Ashton returned a tiny smile to his mum before walking back over to Calum's booth and sitting down across from him.

"Are you okay?" Was all Ashton asked.

"No."

"You look kinda skinny, have you been eating?" Ashton continued. He was cornered, and trying to show that, but it was hard for him. It's always been hard for Ashton to display his emotions and this situation didn't make things any different. He was struggling with his own issues right now as well as trying to help his best friend, who was honestly just being a bit dramatic about all of this.

"No."

"Do you want me to get you something to eat?" Ashton asked a final question, because at this point he was just ready to give up.

"No."

Ashton shrugged and rose from the table, not wanting to try and help his friend anymore. He was angry that Calum didn't ask how he was doing, or if he was alright. Ashton really wasn't alright and he wished that someone would just care enough to ask what was going on.

Ashton turned around and sat back down across from Calum, because now he had a few things to say. "Calum, Mum took me to the doctors - "

"You don't get it." Calum interrupted, and the way he said it sounded almost robotic.

"What do you mean?" Ashton asked, offended that he'd been interrupted like that.

"You're going to tell me that a lot of people have it worse, but you don't get it. I have it worse than anyone. I had my heart broken." Calum said, still sounding robotic.

"Yeah, I understand that. But there are people out there with real issues, man. Like, diseases, disorders, and - and depression, and, I don't know, things like cancer." Ashton said, struggling to find the right words to say. It was hard for him to talk about this, and if Calum had been doing anything besides sitting on his ass all day and crying he would know.

"But I'm sad, too." Calum said softly.

"But the world doesn't revolve around you, Calum. It never did and it never will." Ashton snapped. Calum was his best friend, one of them at least, and he wished that he would just pretend to care about him for maybe a second.

"You don't get it, I told you." Calum shook his head again, angry that Ashton wasn't understanding what he was trying to say. He knew that the world didn't revolve around him but he wished it would, and Calum wished that Ashton would care enough about his issues as well.