August 22nd, 2013

"Do you like to read?" She asked, propping herself up on her elbows.

"Like, books?" Calum questioned. He really wasn't much of a reader and didn't peg Sam as one either, she seemed to be more of a partier. But Calum couldn't judge, he had only known this girl for a week.

"Yeah, books. Do you have a favorite book...or author, even?" Sam said, and Calum sat up.

They had been laying in a field behind his apartment building for the past hour and a half, hiding away from all their friends that were currently inside finishing the Chinese food. Sam said they were star gazing, even though at the moment it was too light out to see any stars.

"I don't read much." Calum shrugged.

"You don't read and you don't dance. Hmm, I don't think this is going to work out." Sam sighed and began to get up, but Calum grabbed her wrist and pulled her back down.

"D-don't go, please." He pleaded, not wanting to ruin his shot with her just because he didn't like to read.

"I was just kidding, Cal. I'm sure you're not really as boring as you're letting me think you are." Sam laughed and laid down again.

"I have a band, that isn't boring!" Calum protested.

"I haven't even heard you guys play yet, you could suck for all I know." Sam shrugged.

"Who's your favorite author then?" Calum asked, switching the subject away from his band. They didn't suck, they just didn't like playing in front of other people.

"It's super cliché, don't laugh." Sam warned him. She took a big breath. "John Green."

"Never heard of him." Calum said, swallowing hard. "He has the same last name as you."

"He does, he does." Sam nodded, "Sadly we aren't related."

"Sadly." Calum agreed.

"You have to read at least one of his books, though, they're like a work of art. And they're so real, you know? They're not perfect stories, and that's why I like them so much." Sam babbled on, obviously getting excited.

Calum smiled, absolutely loving the way that Sam seemed to just lose herself while talking about these books that she loved so much. He liked her so much already, and it scared him because she had only been in his life so such a short time.

"How are they real stories?" Calum asked, interrupting her little tangent. He was curious, he had never been into books, but he felt that maybe Sam could change his mind.

"They're just...different, I guess. Kids with terminal cancer falling in love, the dorky boy chasing the beautiful girl when he has no chance at all," Sam laughed, "It's stuff that happens in real life, but no one talks about."

"So that's why you like them, because they're real?" He asked, sitting up to scratch his arm. He hated laying in the grass, but Sam apparently loved it.

"Yeah. Everyone hears about kids getting cancer, no one hears about their love lives." She answered.

"That's interesting." Calum nodded.

"You know what you should do, Cal?" Sam asked. She turned her head so she was facing Calum, and they were now close enough to the point where Calum could probably stick out his tongue and touch Sam's nose. Not that he was going to do that, though, because that was too weird for even Calum to do.

"I should find a new nickname for you to call me." Calum suggested, already a little bored of the way she always called him just "Cal" instead of his full name.