*Chapter 4*

First published: June 17th 2018
Last edited: 1st March 2022

Words: 1786

Once again Y/N found herself sitting in the back seat of the car. She was looking out the window. It was still raining. She had to remind herself to be happy that it wasn't snowing. Detroit in the snow was too cold. Even some androids can't handle the cold. It had been known for some of them to freeze on the spot. 

The AX400 they were investigating had been spotted robbing a shop and now they were interviewing any possible buildings and shops in the area. A local bus employee mentioned he had been an android and a child seeking shelter the night before. The motel near the robbed store seemed like a logical place to start. 

"No androids allowed," Connor said out loud reading the sign plastered on the door in large letters.
"I'm sure they will let you in if you are with us," Y/N said in reassurance. They stepped into the main lobby area where a very bored man was working at the desk. He looked at Connor with a dirty look before both Y/N and Hank brought their badges out.

"Lieutenant Anderson, Officer Y/L/N," Hank introduced, "Detroit police. We're looking for a female android, robbed a store down the road last night, you see anything?" The man scoffed.
"An android? I don't take androids here." Once again he looked at Connor with disgust. Connor raised his palm and showed the picture of the AX400. The man looked angry. "I knew there was something weird about her! She came in last night, she was dressed... normal you know. There was no way to tell."
"Could she still be here?" Y/N asked.
"Should be. Hasn't returned the key. Room 28."

They left the main lobby area and walked outside back into the rain. Hank called for more officers to cordon off the area and investigate. If she wasn't in her room she couldn't be far.
"Come on Connor," Y/N said walking towards the stairway that lead towards the rooms.
"Hold up. Where do you think you are going alone?" Hank said jogging up to them.
"I'm not alone? Connor is with me?"
"Hell no. Connor. You go wait in the car. That's an order." Hank barked. 

"Lieutenant. It would be better for the investigation if I accompany the two of you. Deviants are one of my specialties." Connor argued for his case to stay.
"You and your deviants," Hanks grumbled. "Fine. Come with us. But stay behind us. We don't know if it's dangerous or not."
"Hanks warming up to you." Y/N said loudly to Connor just to tease Hank.
"No what I mean is, we have guns and he doesn't." 

They both drew their guns and slowly approached room 28. Hank placed a finger to his lips telling the other two to be quiet. He slowly opened the door and walked inside gun pointed ready to defend himself if necessary. Y/N did the same. Connor just walked in. The place was empty and the back window was open. They had escaped. Y/N was partially happy they had escaped. Ever since she had heard the story of that man who killed children with rainwater she was creeped out whenever she saw a motel... it didn't help that it was raining. Hank was furious.

They were in the car again. Connor was confused. They had no lead and this was not the way back to the station.
"Lieutenant, where are we going?" Hank was silent. Y/N looked down at her wrist.
"The same place he goes every day at 3 pm." Before Connor could ask what that was they pulled up and Hank got out. They then saw a car almost hit into the side of him.
"That man." Y/N chuckled.
"I feel like the lieutenant doesn't like me," Connor said out loud.
"He doesn't like anyone to be honest," Y/N said absentmindedly. 
"He likes you."
"Everyone likes me." She said with fake confidence. She truly believed no one liked her. But from what Connor had seen many people at the station liked and respected her. He even felt...

Software instability.

"What can I do to make it right with him?" Connor asked wanting to make it right.
"Well, you were doing well at the station making small talk. That was until you mentioned the game... ask him questions. He seemed to like answering them. He doesn't talk much to people but I think it's because they haven't bothered to get to know him." Connor nodded at the advice and the two got out of the car and crossed the road.