*Chapter 11*

First published: June 23rd 2018
Last edited: 2nd March 2022

Words: 1856

As soon as they returned to the station they were called into the captain's office. He didn't have good news.
"You're off the case. The FBI is taking over." He informed the trio. 
"What?" Both Y/N and Hank said at the same time. "But we're on to something." Hank continued. "We just need more time. I'm sure we..." He was cut off by the captain.
"Hank, you just don't get it. This isn't just another investigation! It's a civil war! It's out of our hands! It's about national security!"
"Fuck that! You can't just pull the plug! Not when we are so close!"

"I agree Captain." Y/N quickly added. "We are so close to figuring out. I'm sure if we had... one more day. Not even that... a few hours!"
"I don't want to hear anything from you!" The captain shouted. "That shit you pulled on the roof yesterday! You're lucky I didn't throw your ass off the case yesterday." Y/N looked down at the floor. Hank lent forward on the captain's desk.
"We're about to crack the case! I know we can solve it. For God's sake, Jeffery can't you back me up this one time?"

The captain sighed.
"There is nothing I can do. You're both back on homicide and the android returns to Cyberlife."
"You can't send Connor back!" Y/N protested. "He did amazingly on this case! There are so many things we wouldn't know without him."
"I'm not the one sending him back. Cyberlife wants him back. He doesn't belong to us."
"He shouldn't belong to anyone."
"No. I will not have that argument brought in here. I'm sorry. But there is nothing I can do. Please, go."

The three of them left the office. Their souls were crushed. They were so close. Y/N and Hank both sat at their respected desks and sighed simultaneously. Connor sat on the edge of Y/N's desk so he could see both of the detectives. While Y/N and Hank were silent Connor was not.

"We can't just give up like that!" He said with a sigh. He obviously had been spending too much time with Y/N and Hank. He had developed their sigh. "I know we could have solved this case." He was frustrated. Sure they had seen him angry before but there was something, real, about how he was talking now. "We just needed more time."

"So youre going back to Cyberlife?" Hank asked. Connor sighed again.
"I have no choice." He paused. "I'll be deactivated and analysed to find out why I failed."
"Wait." Y/N said, "Deactivated? They are going to kill you because you didn't solve the case in time?"
"In a way. Yes." Connor admitted.

"That's barbaric!" Y/N shouted. "That's... I can't even..." she was lost for words. But Hank wasn't.
"What if we are on the wrong side? What if we're fighting against people who just want to be free?"
"I firmly agree with that Hank," Y/N said.
"When the deviants rise up there will be chaos. We could have stopped it." Connor said. "But now it's too late."

Y/N put her head in her hands. She was so stressed right now. If they had solved the case in time then there would be no war and Connor wouldn't be deactivated. But that would go against what she believed. It truly was a choice between two evils.
"When you didn't shoot that android at Kamski's place." Hank started. Y/N groaned at the memory of that man. "You put yourself in her shoes." Y/N lifted her head. Hank referred to her as a 'her'. Both of her boys had given androids a pronoun on the same day. Her heart almost burst. "You showed empathy Connor. Empathy is a human emotion." Connor looked confused.

Software instability.

"I don't know why I did it," he admitted. "I'm not programmed to say things like this, but, I really appreciated working with the both of you. With a little more time who knows..." He looked at Y/N unsure what to say, he looked at Hank. "We might have even become friends." Before either of them could respond Perkins came strutting in like he owned the place.

"Well well well, here come Perkins." Hank groaned. "Sure don't waste time at the FBI..."
"No!" Y/N stood up from her seat. "Screw it. I won't allow this. Connor. We don't need to spend more time with you, we are your friends and damn us if we don't help you. I refuse to let Cyberlife deactivate you. We are going to finish this investigation." Connor stood up too.

"You're right. I know the answer is in the evidence we've collected. If Perkins gets his hands on it. its all over."
"You heard the captain we are off the case."
"Hank come on! When have you ever followed the rules! Please!" Y/N begged.
"You've got to help us, Lieutenant," Connor added determinedly. "We just need a little more time with the evidence. I know the answer is in there somewhere!" Hank sighed looking up at the two young adults looking at him with what could only be described as puppy eyes. "As Y/N said, if we don't solve this case, Cyberlife will destroy me. 5 minutes. That's all I ask." They won him over. With a playful sigh Hank stood up.

"The Key to the basement is on my desk." Y/N and Connor looked at each other with grins. "Get a move on!" Hank said "I can't distract them forever." Hank walked straight over to Perkins and punched him hard in the face. Y/N laughed. Hank was going to be in a lot of trouble. Officers tried to break them up but Hank was having none of it throwing Perkins to the floor. Y/N grabbed Connors hand and dragged him to the archive room. They passed the first door and were about to pass the second when they were stopped.

"Hey Rookie. What are you and your plastic boyfriend doing here?" You know you aren't allowed in here without Hank present. Y/N rolled her eyes. It was Gavin. "We don't want any plastic prick around here or did no one tell you?" Y/N was up for ignoring him. They didn't have time to give him the satisfaction of an answer. But Connor, thought differently.
"I'm registering the evidence in my possession," Connor explained. "But don't worry. I'm going to leave. Though certainly I'm going to miss our bromance." Y/N almost choked. Gavin pulled out a gun pretending to shoot. Connor gave a fake smile.

"Go on then." Gavin said putting his gun away. "Get a fucking move on." Gavin walked away and they entered the archive room.
"Bromance? Who taught you that?" Y/N asked almost in tears. Connor didn't reply but only smirked as they walked down the stairs. Once at the bottom Connor placed his hand on the table in front of them. They were stopped by a password block. Connor looked expectantly at Y/N.
"Its one word. Fuckingpassword." Y/N mumbled in shame. When the panel turned green Connor smirked.
"Obviously."

The evidence locker opened up revealing a central panel in the middle which held the small evidence types they had collected and on either side were androids. On was the first deviant who had killed himself on the first night of the investigation. One was an android Y/N didn't recognise although looked the same as the android who had held her ransom and of course the android himself who held her ransom. Y/N looked up at him. The first android to threaten her life directly.

"He can't hurt you now," Connor said putting his hand on her shoulder. Y/N nodded and began looking at the small trinkets in the central panel. She had no idea what to do with the androids. She replayed the speech given by the android she now knew the same of, Markus. It was an inspiring speech. A speech she believed in. when the recording stopped playing she heard someone gasp. She was aware of Connor walking backward and forwards behind her but didn't pay attention to what he was doing exactly.

The gasp came from the android who had tried to kill her. He was alive?? Connor raised his hand in Y/N's direction. He wanted her to remain silent.
"It's dark." The android said. Y/N slowly walked forward and saw the androids eyes were dark blue. When he shot himself he must have damaged his eyes. "where am I?" he asked.
"I'm a deviant." Connor said in a whisper. "like you. I need your help. I want to go to Jericho."
"I don't recognise your voice." The android replied. "You're not one of us. I'll never tell you where Jericho is. Now leave me alone."

Connor looked over to the tablet Y/N had been watching and an idea came to him. He picked it up and pressed play. Y/N tilted her head. He had seen it before. Why did he need to watch it again? Androids remembered everything. But then she found out when Connor began to talk alongside the android on the screen with the same voice. Her mouth widened in amazement. Connor turned back to the android and spoke to him in Markus' voice.

"Who's there?" The android demanded.
"Everything is all right." Connor soothed. "Don't worry."
"Markus?" the android said with hope. "Is that you? Why did you leave me?"
"I had no choice. They would have killed us all. You'll be alright. I came to take you home. Just give the location to Jericho and we will leave right now."
"Jericho. Yes of course." The android said happily.

Connor touched the android with his hand extracting the information. Due to the amazement of what Connor was doing, she hadn't noticed Gavin come slowly down the stairs. He pulled out his gun and pressed it to the back of Y/N's back.
"Don't say a word." He whispered in her ear making her recoil away from his face. Connor knew there was something happening behind him. When he turned he saw the Gun being pointed at him.

"I've been dreaming about this moment since I first saw you..." Gavin said. He stepped away slightly from Y/N, he was more focused on Connor.
"Don't do it, Gavin," Connor said. "I know how to stop the deviants."
"You're off the case." Gavin stepped forward slightly. Slowly Y/N reached to her side and slowly removed her gun from its holder. Thankfully Gavin didn't see her as he was now in front of her but Connor did see. "and now, it's going to be definitive."

Just as Gavin was about to shoot, Y/N hit him on the side of the head with the end of her gun knocking him out unconscious.
"I think... I've been dreaming about this moment too Gavin." She taunted over his unconscious body. She looked up at Connor feeling proud of herself. This time when Connor smiled. There was nothing fake about it.

AN: Its starting to get juicyyyyyyyy... its also coming closer to the end too though... I have mixed emotions.