*Chapter 6*

First published: June 18th 2018
Last edited: 1st March 2022

Words: 1864

It had been getting colder and colder. Each passing day brought December closer and the weather got worse. What had started out as rain had quickly become harsh snow. Y/N was glad she wasn't in it. She sat on the edge of her bed at home getting ready to put her pajamas on and climb into her big, warm bed. The sudden ringing of her phone caused her to jump in shock. There was no number on the caller ID and Y/N was almost tempted to ignore it but she couldn't bring herself to. She pressed to answer the call.

"Hello, Officer Y/L/N speaking." She said almost annoyed into the speaker.
"Y/L. It's Connor. The android sent by Cyberlife." Connor's voice replied down the phone.
"I know who you are Connor." Y/N chuckled. "What do you need?"
"A new deviant case has been reported. I attempted to contact Lieutenant Anderson and I have checked Jimmy's bar. It would be beneficial if you could meet me at his house."
"Right. Okay. No sleep for the wicked I guess." Y/N sighed "I'll see you soon." She got in one of the many taxis that were passing her house and headed towards the house that in some ways was more of a home to her. She arrived to see Connor ringing the doorbell. His finger did not leave the button, so the annoying noise was constant.

"Connor!" She scolded. "You are going to wake the neighbors! They already don't like Hank." Connor slowly removed his finger from the bell. Y/N sighed and began looking through her bag. Connor took the opportunity to begin looking for a way to see if Hank was okay. If he wasn't at Jimmy's bar and he didn't hear the doorbell then something must be wrong.

"Lieutenant!" Y/N heard Connor shout from the side of the house followed by the smashing of glass.
"Connor wait!" Y/N called. She pulled a key out of her bag and placed it in the door quickly opening it to see Hank unconscious on the floor and Connor about to be eaten by Sumo.
"See. I know your name." Connor said gently to the dog while holding up one hand. "I'm here to save your owner." Sumo backed up with a whine and gave a quick look to Y/N before laying down on his bed in the corner of the room. Y/N rushed over to Hank. 

"Damnit Hank! Not again!" She checked his pulse. He was alive. Even though when he woke up he probably wished he wouldn't be.
"There are traces of alcohol on the breath and the gun has not been fired. I believe Hank is in an Ethylic Coma." Connor explained.
"Okay. So what do we do?" Y/N said slightly worried. The word Coma was not a good one. Connor looked back down at Hank.
"Lieutenant." He said softly as if he was waking him from a nap. Y/N looked at him with confusion. Connor smacked the side of Hank's face lightly. Hank grumbled but didn't wake up. "Wake up lieutenant." 

Hank seemingly opened his eyes for a brief moment before re-closing them. Connor raised his hand high and brought it down with a mighty hit to Hank's face. Y/N jumped back slightly amused and scared. "It's me, Connor." He said leaning close into Hank's face. He grabbed Hank by the arm and pulled him up. Y/N took her cue and grabbed him by the other arm.
"I'm going to sober you up for your own safety," Connor informed Hank.
"Hey! Leave me alone you fucking android! Get the fuck out of my house." Hank shouted. More like slurred angrily. Connor ignored the verbal abuse.
"I have to warn you. This may be unpleasant."
"Y/N! Get him off me!" Y/N shook her head.
"I'm sorry lieutenant, but I need you." Connor continued. Hank was not light. Especially when he was a drunken dead weight. "Thank you in advance for your cooperation."
"Both of you get the fuck outta here!" Hank's breath stunk. Y/N had to fight the urge not to gag. "Sumo! Attack!" Sumo looked up at his owner before resting back down. Y/N opened the bathroom door.

"Fuck, I think I'm gonna be sick." Hank moaned.
"If you can, please wait just a few more seconds," Y/N begged. She couldn't handle puke. Blood, guts, and gore were fine. Puke was not.
"Leave me alone you ass holes! I'm not going anywhere!" Hank grabbed the door frame of the bathroom. Connor grimaced as he pulled. Y/N pried Hank's fingers away one by one. Once Hank had let go Connor pushed him into the bathtub.

"What are you doing? I don't want a bath. A lady is present." Hank stood up in protest only to be pushed again. Y/N leaned over and turned the tap on as far as it would go. Hank screamed and shouted for the water to be turned off. He wasn't slurring anymore. Their mission was complete. She quickly turned the tap off and lifted her hand for a high five. Connor looked at her hand. His LED flashed yellow and he lifted his own hand and touched it against Y/N's hand for a little longer than expected. The air quickly got awkward.

"Why the fuck are you two doing here?" Saved by 'the' Hank.
"A homicide was reported 43 minutes ago. I couldn't find you at Jimmy's bar, so I came here to see if you were home."
"Jesus. I must be the only cop in the world to be assaulted by his own android and partner in his own home." He attempted to get out of the tub but slipped. Connor grabbed him and placed him on the side. "Can't you just leave me alone?"

"Hank you were lucky we found you when we did." Y/N said disappointingly. "You know what could have happened if we didn't."
"Beat it!" Y/N jumped. She had never seen him this bad before. Right now he reminded her too much of her father and that was not a good thing. Connor shook his head.
"I understand." He said in a strange tone. "It probably wasn't interesting anyway. A man found dead in a sex club downtown. Guess they will have to solve the case without us." Connor was teasing him! The cheeky bastard.

"You know." Hank began. "It probably wouldn't do any harm to get some air." Y/N scoffed. Men. "There are some clothes in the bedroom there."
"I'll go get them." Connor volunteered and left the bathroom. Y/N spoke to Hank in a harsh whisper.
"Hank you promised you wouldn't do this anymore!"
"I know, I know," he brushed off.
"No, you don't know. You are all I have left in this world and I'm all you have. We are partners. Family. If this was the other way around what would you do?" Hank looked down.

"I would kick your ass," Hank admitted.
"Exactly! So, please. For both of us. Stop." Hank didn't look up. He couldn't. He felt ashamed. There was a difference between eating unhealthy food in hopes one day it would end you and actively playing Russian roulette. Hank stood up and rushed to the toilet where he began to vomit. Y/N lifted her hands in surrender and left the room.

In the kitchen she found herself rubbing behind Sumo's ears. He may look big and scary but he was a giant softie inside. Much like Hank himself really. She heard footsteps behind her and knew she wasn't alone anymore. Connor had joined her. He bent down beside her and mimicked her petting. Sumo was content with all of this attention.
"Thank you for helping him," Y/N said.
"We need him to complete the mission," Connor replied.
"Connor. We both know you helped him for more reasons than just the mission."

Software instability

They both stood up and looked around at the mess that surrounded them. Empty bottles of booze and too many empty pizza takeaway boxes to count. While Y/N's eyes were focused on the mess Connor picked up a photo frame that was placed down on the counter. Slowly he picked it up and examined it.
"Cole." Y/N said. "His name was Cole." Conner knew this already from analysis but nodded nonetheless. He looked around the room and saw another photo.

"That is yourself and the lieutenant. You are younger." Y/N looked over in the direction that Connor was looking. The picture of them that had been taken from the news. She remembered the photo being taken like it was yesterday. The press loved that the newly appointed lieutenant had saved the life of a 15-year-old girl and were dying to get a photograph of them together. However, they didn't like the fact Y/N was covered in bruises and cuts so covered her in makeup so that the readers wouldn't get upset at the real truth.

At a quick glance, you would think she had flawless skin and a perfect figure. But if you knew where to look you could see the scars and bruises. When Connor saw the photo the news article that was printed with it was available to read. The permanent damage features on Y/N matched perfectly with those mentioned in the article. He did not say anything.

"We do look younger don't we." Y/N laughed off. "I guess sometimes 11 years catch up with you in the end." Connor looked at her. Yes, he could see the scars on her arms. A little scar just above her eyebrow and he wondered if she would be a different person if these things never happened to her. He himself, he was designed to be exactly what was needed of him. Everything about him was created by a computer. But Y/N. she was created by the life she had. If she had a normal life where would she be now? Would she still be kind to androids? Would she still even be an officer? Would she know Hank? Would she even know Connor? Would she be in a loving family away from all of this?

Software instability 

"Y/N?" Connor said quietly. Y/N almost missed it. He was so quiet. She looked up at Connor and saw a look in his eye. His LED was yellow which meant he was trying to figure something out. But it was the sadness in his eyes that got her attention. Connor shouldn't be sad. He didn't have emotions. 
"Yes, Connor?" She whispered back. Neither of them said anything. They were just looking at each other. Connor took in every curve and shape of her face. The more he looked the more he found. Y/N felt herself blush under his intense stare. Connor shook his head. 
"It's nothing." 

Software instability

Hank immerged from the bathroom looking fresh and clean. His hair was brushed and his clothes were neat. Connor almost smiled at the man.
"Be a good dog, Sumo," Hank said to the dog. "I won't be long."

AN: This chapter was originally meant to have the Eden club portion included but I didn't want it to be too long. 

AN 2022: ^^ Coward