eleven

Jacob entered the party with Quil and Embry and Paul next to him

Jacob entered the party with Quil and Embry and Paul next to him. Bella walked off the dance floor and onto Jacob's path.

"What are you doing here?" Bella asked.

"You invited me, remember?" Jacob answered.

"Was my right hook too subtle for you? That was me uninviting you," Bella retorted.

"Look, Bella. I'm sorry about - you know - the kiss and your hand... I'd blame it on the whole inner animal thing, but it was really just me being an ass. I'm really sorry."

Bella reluctantly nodded.

Iris zoned out of the conversation that Bella and Jacob were having. She decided to focus on Embry, Quil, and Paul, who were hogging the food table.

"Go talk to Iris," Embry whispered.

Paul grunted. "What am I even supposed to say? Cool party?"

Quil laughed as he dug into the cake. "Could have fooled me."

Paul smacked the younger boy's arm. "Shut the hell up."

Iris walked over to the pair. Her happiness was even brighter than before. She knew now that Paul had to be her mate. She did what Carlisle instructed. She calmed down and tried to get rid of her happiness for a split second. In that split second, she could see a white aura surrounding Paul.

"Hi, boys, enjoying the party?" Iris asked.

"Yeah, it's a really cool party," Paul said. "Shit," he whispered.

Embry and Quil snickered, while Paul sighed at himself. Iris smiled up at Paul. He was more than a foot taller than her.

"All thanks to Alice!" she beamed. "I only help with encouraging people. I'm not good at barking orders or carrying heavy stuff. Get it? Barking?"

Embry rolled his eyes. "I feel like you could have come up with a better joke."

Paul shoved him. "Don't listen to him. It was a good joke."

"It was a good joke," Quil mocked.

"I swear, Quil, I will fight you," Paul said.

Iris only smiled at their banter, pulling Paul away by the arm. "Do you want to dance with me?"

Paul nodded, taking her hand in his. "I'd love to."

The two danced for a while in silence. Iris was a good dancer, but she was just too short. It was cute though, seeing how small she was, compared to Paul.

"Did you imprint on me, Paul?" Iris suddenly asked, looking up at him.

His eyes widened. "I - "

Suddenly, Iris saw Bella pushing through the crowd with Jacob hot on her heels. Iris grabbed Paul's wrist and dragged him to where Alice was. He followed her without complaining, feeling the nervousness in her. Embry and Quil followed the pair.

"Alice, what did you see?" Bella asked.

"Okay, something is going on. Tell me," Jacob said.

"I need to talk to Jasper," Alice muttered.

Jacob blocked her way. "Why don't you talk to me?"

Jasper growled. "I suggest you remove your arm before I do."

Jacob huffed, but did as Jasper told him to.

"The decision's been made," Alice said.

"What's going on? You're not going to Seattle?" Bella asked.

"No... They're coming here."

"How long?" Edward asked.

"They'll be here in four days."

"This could turn into a bloodbath," Carlisle stated.

"Who's behind it?" Edward asked.

"I didn't see anyone I recognize. Maybe one..." Alice trailed off, waiting for Edward to take over.

"I know his face," Edward said. "He's local - Riley Biers, but he didn't start this.

"Whoever did is staying out of the action," Alice said.

"They must be playing with the blind spots in your vision," Carlisle suggested.

"Either way, the army is coming, and there aren't enough of us to protect the town," Jasper said.

"Hold up. What damn army?" Jacob asked.

Edward shook his head, but Carlisle decided to tell Jacob.

"Newborns. Our kind," Carlisle said.

"What are they after?" Embry asked.

"They were passing around Bella's scent - a red blouse," Alice answered.

"They're after Bella?" Embry asked.

"What the hell does this mean?" Jacob asked.

"It means an ugly fight - with lives lost," Carlisle said.

Jacob shared a nod with Embry, Quil, and Paul. "Alright, we're in."

Bella shook her head. "No, you'll get yourselves killed - no way."

Jacob scoffed. "I wasn't asking for permission."

Bella pleaded, "Edward."

Edward added, "It means more protection for you."

Bella pleaded, "Jacob."

"Do you believe Sam will agree to...an understanding?" Carlisle asked.

Jacob smirked. "As long as we get to kill some vampires."

"Jasper?"

"They'll give us the numbers. And the newborns won't know they even exist. That'll give us an edge," Jasper commented.

"We'll need to coordinate," Carlisle said.

"Carlisle, they'll get hurt," Bella said.

"We'll all need some training. Fighting newborns requires knowledge that Jasper has. You're welcome to join us," Carlisle said.

"Name the time and place," Jacob said.