twenty-five

Jacob shifted as soon as he reached the forest

Jacob shifted as soon as he reached the forest. He looked behind him to see Iris trailing behind him slowly.

He beckoned her over with his head.

"You want me to go on top of you?" Iris asked.

Jacob nodded.

Iris did as he wanted. She climbed on top of him and bunched his fur with her hands as he ran through the forest.

She could sense how angry and sad he was. His thoughts were haywire, sending out images and messages to the rest of the pack.

Soon enough, the pack found him. They stared at Iris on top of his body. She was crouching, not wanting to be seen.

Paul came up beside Jacob and nudged Iris's leg. She slowly glided down Jacob and climbed on top of Paul.

"I didn't want to leave you," she whispered as she rubbed her cheek on top of his body.

Paul could feel the tears coming out from her eyes. His fur was getting soggy, but he didn't care. He just wanted Iris to be happy - like she always was.

"Bella's pregnant," Iris whispered.

She didn't know when Jacob left. She didn't care about him in the moment. She was thankful he let her ride on his back, but she needed to vent.

Sam motioned toward her. Does she know what's inside Bella?

Paul stiffly nodded before shaking his body.'iris hopped off, wiping her tears away as Paul ran away behind a tree. He quickly emerged in his human form with shorts on.

"Is it human?" Paul asked.

"I... We don't know. None of us know. But Bella wants to keep the baby - or whatever it is. It could be dangerous, Paul. Bella is tearing my family apart by wanting to keep the baby. Rosalie is protecting her, Emmett stands by her, Alice and Jasper think it's a threat, and Carlisle and Esme keep trying to diffuse the tension in the house. Even Bella and Edward are mad at each other." Iris sniffled and rubbed her nose on the back of her hand. "And now I left, and they probably hate me."

Paul brought her in for a hug, kissing the top of her head. "It'll be okay, princess. You'll be okay. Come on. Let's get you to Emily's."

Paul decided to carry Iris on his back since she didn't have the energy to walk back to Sam's house.

"I like piggyback rides," she muttered into the crook of his neck.

Paul softly chuckled. "I know."

He walked into the house, setting down Iris by the table before he sat down on the chair. Iris looked around and decided to hug Emily, but Paul pulled her into his lap.

He kissed the corner of her eye. "How are you feeling?"

She hummed. "Better."

Emily gave the couple a concerned smile. "Are you hungry, Iris? Are you craving anything? I can make it for you."

Iris shook her head. "That's okay. Don't go through the trouble."

"It's really no problem."

Iris pursed her lips. "I'm craving macaroni and cheese."

"Why can't you say Mac n Cheese like everyone else?" Quil asked.

Iris pouted. "Because I am an intellectual. Paul, Quil's bullying me."

Paul smiled at the fact that she seemed to be getting in a better mood. "Stop bullying my girlfriend, Quil."

Quil rolled his eyes. "Oh, shut up. You haven't even made it official."

"Yeah, where's your girlfriend?" Iris retorted.

Quil scowled and threw a muffin at her. "Your attitude is getting worse."

"Your face is getting worse."

"Okay, let's stop before this turns into a cat fight," Emily called out from the kitchen.

"But I'm not a cat, and neither is Quil," Iris replied.

Paul had a lop-sided grin on his face as he brushed hair out of her face with nose and kissed her forehead.

"You only kiss anywhere but my lips," she murmured. "Why's that?"

"I don't want to rush you into anything," he muttered.

Iris smiled and leaned her head against his left breast where his heart laid. She was satisfied with his answer.

Soon enough, Emily had served some macaroni and cheese for Iris. She happily dug in, smacking anyone's hands who tried to take her food.

Paul didn't mind if Iris shared her food with him or not. He was just glad she was happy for now.