fourteen

Iris was busy ruffling Paul's fur

Iris was busy ruffling Paul's fur. The wolf sneezed in the cold, which caused Iris to erupt into a bunch of coos.

"You're so cute," she cooed. "Look at your little face," she said as she smushed his face.

From afar, Seth laughed in wolf form.

"We still haven't talked about the imprint thing," Iris muttered.

Paul stared at her for a few seconds before nudging her with his nose.

"I'd like to get to know you better," Iris said. "When this is all over," she added, "because I know everyone is going to make it out just fine."

Iris smiled at him brightly, pressing her cheek against him. She had turned off her humanity for the day, wanting to fight to her best ability. So now, her hands and body were cold. Paul was more used to the warmth she emitted, but he didn't mind the cold sometimes. He learned to not mind the cold for her.

And when the fight had begun, he learned to protect her even more than he originally did. He learned the emotions that passed through him whenever he saw Iris in trouble. Pain, despair, nervousness. But then he would find relief and proudness as she ripped off the heads of newborns that came her way.

Everywhere Iris looked, there was chaos. Emmett, that strong brute, was overwhelmed with newborns as multiple of them took him on. Jasper was capable, dodging their attacks. Alice could easily slip through their hands, but she needed more momentum to be able to turn the tables around. Carlisle and Esme were burning the bodies, eyes scanning for any threats that could be tossed their way.

Iris was overwhelmed, so she did the one thing she thought to do. She turned her heart back on.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The newborns' eyes flashed with recognition as they listened to the heartbeat. They thought she was a human, so they ran for her, wanting to taste what they thought was blood.

Paul and Emmett snarled at them, the two of them putting aside their differences to protect Iris and beat the newborns once and for all.