Chapter Nine

I love being able to upload fast. :) And I'm loving the feedback! They mean a lot. Heehees!

Long comments are appreciated ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't sure about going with Cash to his little work party, but he was begging me, so I had to say yes. Cash never begged; he had too much pride. We had been dating for four months and I was really flattered he wanted to show me off to his colleagues, but was I ready to meet all the powerful people who he worked with when I was just a small town girl with a waitressing job?

I was wearing a classy black dress and to-die-for heels Cash had bought me as a birthday present, my make-up done to perfection. When Cash peeked his head into my bedroom, he eyed my body up and down with appreciation before grinning at me.

"I'm guessing you're ready?" he asked.

Sighing, I nodded. "As ready as I'll ever be."

Thirty minutes later and I was at his work place. He was pretty important, being the CEO of the company and I was stuck to his side, being the faithful arm candy. I don't think I'd ever seen so many designer dresses on different women and so much expensive jewelry in all my life. The women were the definition of class.

I suddenly felt very little with their disdainful eyes staring at me.

"Calvin, darling!" A stunning brunette strutted elegantly forward in a dress that barely reached her mid-thighs and heels that looked sky high.

Cash smiled at the brunette and untangled me from his arms, moving to hug her. "Hello, beautiful," he murmured in her ear. She looked at me with triumphant, icy blue eyes that made me feel like there was something thick in my throat.

"Oh, me? Beautiful?" She laughed, a sweet, tinkling sound that made me want to punch her in the face, even though I wasn't a very violent person in the first place. "You are too kind, darling." Why couldn't she stop calling him darling? She wasn't supposed to call him by an endearment! Only I was entitled to do that. And his mother.

"Melanie, you're the most gorgeous woman in the world."  I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. How could he disregard me so easily?

Blinking rapidly, I stepped back on my heels. "Um, I'm just going to go to the bathroom," I mumbled. It was like Cash finally noticed me, but I walked away before he could say anything. By the time I was in front of the sink, there were tears dripping down my cheeks.

Staring into the mirror, I wiped at my eyes, smearing my make-up, but did it really matter? I wasn't like all the other women here. They were born into this world and I just didn't fit in. Not with this cheap dress and flat blonde hair.

"I know what you're thinking and it's not true." Hearing the female voice startled me and I spun around to look at a pretty, short redhead who was gazing at me with a sympathetic smile on her face.

"What do you know?" I spat harshly, trying hard not to cry again.

She smiled. "I'm Cash's secretary, Dana. I know that probably doesn't mean much to you, but he does trust me a lot. And I know he really likes you. And he's just being an idiot right now - he didn't really mean what he said about Melanie being beautiful. She's the daughter of an important client and umm...a whore."

"That doesn't help me feel better," I admitted. He had casted me aside like I meant nothing. And I wouldn't stand for that, even if it was to please his client's daughter.