Chapter 29

EDITED!

Addie's P.O.V:

The ride back to the house was quiet, only the sound of the radio playing in the background. Addie didn't know exactly how she was going to start the conversation that was no doubt about to happen between the two of them. But she knew she didn't have long to figure it out before they reached Ryan's house and they had to talk. She couldn’t stop replaying Jess’ words in her head as she watched the scenery out the window. She hoped, and prayed that it wasn’t true. Ryan had changed, he didn’t do those kinds of things anymore… at least she didn’t think he did.

"You okay, Addie? You've been awfully quiet and you've been sitting there staring out the window and at your hands like they will suddenly sprout the answer you need since we pulled out of the school parking lot," Ryan voiced as he turned onto the road to the house. Addie was surprised that he had noticed that she had been thinking so intently. She didn’t want to talk about this until she was somewhere where she could walk away if need be. She didn’t want that to happen, obviously, but she had to keep in mind that if she started this conversation in the truck she was stuck until he decided to let her out.

"I'm fine... I think," she said as she finally looked over at him. He was focused on the road in front of them. "I mean, I should be after we talk and you just tell me that it's not true and ease my mind."

"Wait, what is it that I need to tell you isn't true?" he asked suspiciously. Addie knew he was going to pry until he got what he was looking for, so when Addie didn't respond right away, Ryan continued. "Does this have to do with Jessica, with the girl you asked me if I knew?"

Addie simply nodded her head in response and went back to fiddling her fingers. She was trying to delay this conversation for as long as she possibly could, but that wasn’t exactly something easy to do when Ryan was almost as stubborn as she was. She felt bad for even thinking that it could be true, but hell who wouldn't think it was knowing that Ryan had tried, and succeeded, in sleeping with almost every girl in school.

"What did Jess say?" he asked with annoyance playing clear in his tone. She closed her eyes and turned away not wanting him to see her face right now. He was annoyed by the fact that she could listen to something someone else said about him. She knew that she shouldn't but she just couldn't help it. She could tell that he was going to get mad when she told him, and she would be lying if she said she wasn’t scared to see that same look in his eye again… but this time pointed at her.

"I thought we were going to talk about when we got home. Not now when we're sitting in your truck driving home," she whispered as she looked out of the window.

"We will talk about it at home, but I want to know what she said right now. Why can't you just tell me? Do you believe whatever it was she said?"

"She said I could never satisfy you the way she can," Addie whispered keeping her eyes on anything but his face. She couldn’t look at him when she admitted to what Jess had said at the school. Addie couldn’t bring herself to tell him the other part, not while they were still in the car.

"And you believe her? I already told you that shit isn't true... so what else did she say to you? Addie, just tell me!"