Chapter 3: Mars's and Betelgeuse's Decision

"Um, Betelgeuse nē-san..."

(NOTE:  Nē-san (姉さん) – one refers like this to their elder sister in Japanese)

The redhead girl looked up at Mars who had come up to her. Her face brightened in a benevolent smile:

"Aww, it is my Mars-chan!"

She hugged the startled Mars, squeezed him and pressed him to her breast.

"Ah! Nē-san, stop, you're squashing me!"

"Aww, sorry, darling!" Betelgeuse chuckled and let him go. "Well, what is it, big boy?"

"Nē-san, may I ask you a little favour?"

"Ask me anything, Mars-chan!"

"Ugh, don't call me 'Mars-chan', Big Sister, it's not manly! What I wanted to ask is – can you please form a basketball team and help me beat Sun-kun today?"

"Huh? But aren't you in the Solar group? Sun-kun is your head. You should not rebel against him. How many times have I told you, Mars-chan?"

"Ugh, don't call me 'Mars-chan', I've told you! I know he's the leader of my group and all, but... you know, I'm doing it for Earth-chan." He lowered his voice so that no one except them would hear. "Sun-kun told her she's no good at basketball, and she began crying, so_"

"He said what? Where are his manners?! That is no way you talk to a younger woman!"

"Calm down!" Mars got worried – what if others heard her talk? "More importantly – will you help?"

"There's no calming down in the family of redheads when we hear of such a thing!" Betelgeuse sprang from her chair, almost turning her desk over, so furious she had become. "I shall not forgive hurting the feelings of Earth-chan, my cute little girl... We're going to teach that blondie a lesson!"

 We're going to teach that blondie a lesson!"

Mars grew nervous:

Goodness, she's even fiercer than me when it comes to this...

"Oh, right – Uranus-kun said he'd play in the same team as I. So, we'll take him with us, right?"

"Sure, why not? Invite Earth-chan and Uranus-chan right away."

"So, if you become a center, Uranus and I take the forward positions, and Earth-chan is put as a guard, that leaves only one member, right? Who's it going to be?"

Betelgeuse shook her head with a chuckle:

"Nope, big boy, you're not going to be in a forward position."

"Huh? Why not?!"

"Well, because you're still not big enough, darling." Betelgeuse caressed him on the head like a child. "You're not tall enough yet."

"Huh? What gives?"

Mars blushed with anger and embarrassment, but deep at heart, he sure knew he wasn't tall enough for a boy.

"Aww, come on, big boy! I'm just being honest with you. Plus, I have another, more serious reason..."

"Huh? What reason?"

"I want to put a very cool player in a forward position. In a guard position, he won't do as much good as in a forward one."

"Huh? Who is it?"

"Betelgeuse-chan, you called me?"

Mars froze – there was only one person who dared call his big sister 'Betelgeuse-chan' and could get away with it. Realising who the voice belonged to, he looked back in fear. It was a guy of above two metres in height, with long black hair and dark eyes, wrapped into multiple bandages all over his body and a scarf around his neck – the biggest and most outstanding star in the whole class of Milky Way, VY Canis Majoris, whom bolder people called Victor. Bolder people, because he was so unapproachable and ominous that even Milky Way-san hadn't dared put him as a group head. She hadn't even dared suggest it to him.

Even Milky Way Sensei is afraid of this guy!

"Ah, Victor-kun, you're just in time!" Betelgeuse jumped in happiness before the young man

"Ah, Victor-kun, you're just in time!" Betelgeuse jumped in happiness before the young man. "Mars-chan talked to me about forming a basketball team to beat Sun-kun's butt!"

"Oh?" Victor shot his cold and serious gaze at the trembling Mars, who in his thoughts complained that his big sister had started talking about him in front of this scary guy. "Why going up against your group head, Mars-kun?"

"Um, I..."

"Mars-chan said it was to stand up for Earth-chan, who was turned down by Sun-kun today." Betelgeuse lowered her voice now. She could well understand this information shouldn't leak out. "So, what do you say, Victor-kun, will you become a forward in our team?"

Mars froze – calling him of all people?!

She can't be serious! He looked up at Victor in fear, only to meet his direct gaze. Darn... He's looking at me!

"Well, as it is to please you, Betelgeuse-chan, and to help your little brother, I'd gladly lend my hand."

Victor smiled from behind his scarf and caressed Betelgeuse on the hair. This latter blushed and grinned:

"Then it is decided!"

Goodness, this is our lucky day!

Mars stared at Victor – he was the best player not just in their class, but one of the best in the whole Planetarium College! He bowed down to him:

"Thank you so much for your kindness, VY Canis Majoris Senpai!"

"Mars-kun, I've told you that you could just call me Victor. After all, your sister and I are in a relationship for years." Victor put a hand on his shoulder.

"Hehe!" Mars scratched his head, "It just doesn't really tie in, VY Canis Majoris_ I mean, Victor Senpai."

"You are a good man, Mars-kun."

Victor hit him softly on a shoulder, which was rather too hard of a hit on Mars whose body was far feebler than his. Nevertheless, Mars smiled shyly at Victor's kind gesture.

Betelgeuse nē-san has chosen a good guy. He thought. Just you wait, Earth-chan, we're going to avenge you!