Chapter 20: Earth-chan and Moon-kun Meet Phoebe

Fifty years (by human calculations) had passed after Earth-chan suffered a hospitalization and was later discharged. However, fifty human years aren't much in the planetary world (after all, planets live for more than a billion years). Thus, nothing much had changed in Earth-chan's and her friends' lives. They had multiple fun contests during this time and studied hard, and that was all. But this year there was one pleasant change – Earth-chan had finally received the permission from her doctor Theia-san to perform in the upcoming Yearly Song Contest.

"Don't think that your health has drastically improved or anything." he warned her, however. "It is just that your health condition has been more or less stable these late years, so I can permit you to sing, as it wouldn't hurt your lungs too badly. Moreover, you promised you'd sing with Moon, and your part of the song was much shorter, so I can authorize it."

"Hurrah!" Earth and Moon who were listening to him rejoiced and gave each other a high-five, "Thank you!"

"You're welcome. Take care of yourselves!"

Theia-san bade them goodbye as they exited his room and headed to Earth-chan's one.

"We have to practise a lot. So many good opponents are participating!" Earth-chan jumped around in happiness. "Venus-chan, Mars-kun, and their band are taking part again. They have already won many past year contests, so they're a problem. Same goes for Betelgeuse Senpai and VY Canis Majoris Senpai."

"Don't worry. I've heard VY Canis Majoris Senpai is preparing for his graduation in these next 100 000 years so he won't be concentrating on the Song Contest too much. He has already applied to become a part of Black Hole Layla-sama's Preparatory Class so that he can become a successful Black Hole in the future and take place in our college administration."

"Yes, I've heard that too, but 100 000 years is still far away." Earth chuckled, "We must focus on the present. In this current situation, he is one of the most formidable opponents."

"Haha, true... Well then, let's do our best!"

They walked into Earth-chan's room. Earth took a seat on the edge of her bed, and Moon-kun sat beside her.

"Well, let's begin!" Earth took the paper where their song lyrics were written. "I will start singing, okay? And you check on me."

"Sure. Go on!"

Earth-chan coughed a little, adjusting her voice, and began:

"Far and wide in the open-world sky,

Day and night, we party and smile,

Leave all the sorrow and sadness behind

Beyond where the horizon lies_"

"Okay, stop!" Moon-kun interrupted her, "You take an overly high note in the end. I don't think it's necessary, because after that the tag lyrics don't come yet. Don't you agree?"

"Yeah, true... I'll try to pick a lower note."

Thus they were practising when Earth-chan felt something tickle her nose. She stopped singing and raised her hand to rub her nose when they heard a high-pitched shrill of a tiny creature:

"Ahh, no, don't crush me!"

"What was that?" Earth exclaimed.

"Wait, there's something on your nose!" Moon put his fingers to the flushed-up Earth-chan's nose, picked up the tiny creature and placed it on his finger, "No way, a human?!"

"Huh?" Earth bent towards him and stared at the microscopic creature. It was indeed a human – a female one. It was too tiny, even for such a minuscule creature as a human. "You're right! Oh, goodness, I see one for the first time!"

The tiny human girl stared at them with widened eyes. Her heart throbbed in fear – these planets were so gigantic, even bigger than she had ever imagined! One slight move of their fingers could easily crush her! She shuddered upon just the thought of it. But Earth-chan, instead of behaving like a hostile giant, almost jumped on her bed from joy:

"Ah, finally, I get to see a human! Moon-kun, this is such a delight!"

"Well, I told you I met one fifty years ago..." Moon scratched the back of his head with a timid grin, "I knew something like this might happen again."

"Ah! I'm so happy!"

The little human had another concern:

"Wait, so you have really met my grandpa?!"

"Huh? Your grandpa?!"

Moon and Earth got astonished – grandpa, in only fifty years? Humans aged so quickly!

"Neil Gowan is your grandpa?" Moon had a hard time believing her words.

"Yes!" the girl exclaimed with joy hearing her grandfather's name from these planets. "Neil Gowan is my grandpa, and my name is Phoebe!"

"Wow..."

"So, you humans have such a short lifespan?" Earth asked out loud, so stupefied she was.

"Well, we humans don't consider it short, but I guess, for you planets, who live for more than billions of years, our lifespan is truly too short." Phoebe giggled.

"Anyway, I know your grandfather travelled to my hair fifty years ago so he managed to contact me somehow but, what about you?" Moon gave her a beam as to a little child (considering their age difference, she was indeed a tiny child for him), "How come you appeared here? I doubt humans would permit tiny ones like you to wander around on different planets alone."

"Heh, what different planets, they barely let me wander in my city alone!" Phoebe exclaimed. Then she grinned with pride: "Grandpa taught me the secret of how to contact you guys."

"Eh? There is a secret?"

Both planets were shocked – so, all this time, there existed a means to contact these little humans and they knew nothing?!

"Yup," Phoebe smirked, "I've come here through my dreams!"