Chapter 10: Sun's Words

Earth-chan continued her therapy and regularly visited the doctor, but her health was worsening little by little. She had to frequent classes with a surgical mask in order not to infect others by her coughs. However, she still worked hard on her singing skills, for she intended to offer Sun-kun to sing together in the Yearly Song Contest. She believed that if she sang better than the other girls, Sun-kun would start paying attention to her more.

I must do my best!

Thus, she practised singing in front of the mirror in her room every day, even though heavy coughs often gave her a hard time. Meanwhile, Moon-kun, whose room was just at the opposite side of Earth-chan's one, could perfectly contemplate her in her chamber from his one, so he often sat at the window watching her, just like he had promised himself.

Even from afar, she is wonderful...

He gazed at her with delight and admiration as she sat at the mirror and did her best.

It is so bad that she too is attracted by big, strong, careless guys like Sun Senpai... If only she paid a little more attention to me... I'd prove her my worth! I'd prove I'm better than Sun! Yes, that's it – I shall show her how well I sing, and I'll overshadow Sun's talents. That way, she'll choose me over him!

The next day, when Earth-chan and her classmates finished their studies, they walked out of the classroom and headed towards their chambers. Earth-chan bade goodbye to Venus-chan and Mars-kun, who, along with Mars' two junior friends – Phobos and Deimos – walked in the opposite direction, towards Mars' room, to practise their performance for the Yearly Song Contest. Earth followed the corridors towards her own chamber, while Sun-kun, Mercury-chan, Jupiter, and Saturn walked in front of her and talked amongst one another. Moon-kun, on his part, lurked behind Earth-chan, observing her from dark corners.

I'm going to ask Sun today... Earth clenched her fist. Her eyes sparkled with determination as she watched Sun and the group of girls walking in front of her. No, not today... I'm going to do it right now!

She rushed towards Sun-kun's group. Moon accelerated his pace too, to better see and hear what she was up to.

"Um, Sun..."

The whole group of Sun glanced back at Earth in curiosity.

"Ugh, it's that flat girl!" Jupiter sneered.

"What business can you possibly have with Sun-kun, flatty?" Saturn laughed.

"I'm not flat!" Volcanoes erupted in Earth-chan's hair.

Jupiter, Saturn, and their fan-girls from the junior class cackled. Sun-kun faintly chuckled too.

"What is it, Earth-chan?"

Earth shyly twisted her fingers:

"Um, I..."

"Spit it out, brat. You're wasting our time!" Jupiter turned up her nose.

"I'm not talking to you!" Earth retorted, and turned back to Sun: "Um, Sun Senpai, I... I thought... Please, sing with me in this year's contest!"

"Huh? Why the heck would he need a flat girl like you when he has us?" Jupiter smirked.

"Yeah, as if Sun-kun would ever want to sing with losers like you..." Saturn covered her grin with a hand.

"Ugh, I'm not a loser!" Tears filled Earth-chan's eyes.

"Thanks for the offers, you all, but... I've already decided to sing with Mercury-chan." Sun-kun caressed Mercury on the head.

"Mercury?! How come you chose that brat over us?"

Jupiter and Saturn snarled in indignation. Sun-kun's eyes flashed from behind his sunglasses:

"Don't you ever dare insult my girlfriend like that?!"

"Girlfriend?"

Jupiter and Saturn were shocked. Mercury smirked and stuck out her tongue at them:

"Hehe, you got that, losers?"

"Ugh, you little..."

"Sorry, ladies, I'm into little girls." Sun winked.

"Ugh! Who needs the likes of you anyway? You're just some average star!"

Jupiter and Saturn turned up their noses at him, burning with envy towards Mercury from the inside. They walked off and their fan group hastened after them. Mercury laughed at them from the behind and snuggled with Sun, happy that she had turned out to be his chosen one. Those losers got what they deserved!

"I... I don't understand. I... I have nothing against Mercury-chan, she's the best in our group in terms of studies and all... but, how come you have never paid attention to me, Sun Senpai? If you were into little girls..."

Earth-chan reddened up in embarrassment, but still eagerly waited for his answer – if he liked little girls, why didn't he ever get interested in her, one of the smallest planets in the Solar Group?

Moon was lurking in shadows, his ear lent to the whole conversation. He eagerly waited for Sun's answer too – how come this dumb boy never got interested in such a divine girl?! He was truly so blind!

"Huh? Oh, Earth, I didn't know you were serious about that. Come on! You're fun and all, true, but how could I ever go out with a girl who holds bacteria in her hair? I am sorry, but I pay attention to my health, so I can't afford to go out with a girl in that condition."

Damn... Moon gasped in shock – and they called this guy nice?!

A faint sob reached his ears – Earth-chan had begun to whimper in silence, frozen before the surprised Sun and the saddened Mercury.

"Dear... that was too harsh, don't you think?" Mercury whispered to Sun, having pity on poor Earth.

"But it was the truth!" Sun let out an innocent laugh, scratching the back of his head.

Furious footsteps sounded. In a blink of an eye, Moon rushed out of his hiding-place, dashed at Sun, and punched him hard right in the face, bringing him down in a single hit:

"You moron!"