Breaking All The Rules (Jasper Hale) -9-

-9- (Chemicals React - Aly and A.J.)

Sophia’s P.O.V.

“Jasper, where’s Alice?” Esme asks.

“She left,” He sighs. 

“Why?” I ask.

He shrugs. 

“Jasper, you better tell me,” I warn. 

He look at the television, avoiding making eye contact with me, to prevent me from seeing the reason Alice left. I take notice of something on the table. It’s a ring. I look up to Jasper’s left hand and gasp. 

“What is it?” Esme questions. 

“They divorced!” Now, Jasper glances over and I can catch a glimpse of what happened. “No, no, no. I have to...” 

I am almost half way out the door when Jasper decides to speak, “You can’t catch up to her.”

“Why not?” 

“What happened?” Carlisle asks. 

“Alice had a vision. She brought divorce papers. And now she’s looking for her real mate,” Jasper explains. 

“And it’s all my fault. So I’m going to-” 

“You have to stay,” Esme says. “What happened is mainly between Alice and Jasper. Alice will return one day.”

“But Alice left because she had a vision of me and Jasper! I can’t...” I walk out the door. None of them try to stop me this time. I need a break. It’s too much. Finding out the Volturi plotted my whole life so I would be loyal to them and now causing Alice to leave and ruining her relationship with Jasper. 

Over the years of being in the Volturi, I had made some money. I had it transferred to American money as soon as I heard we were coming to America. I use a portion of the money to take a flight to Alaska. It wouldn’t be that long of a flight and I was able to book a flight for this evening with the amount I was offering. I need to spend some time with the second vegetarian vampire coven. 

From the Volturi’s study I knew a few things about the Denali coven, but not much. I knew about Sasha and the immortal child she created and how they were killed. And obviously how Irina died. Kate had a shield that electrocuted people, Tanya was her sister, Eleazar could sense what people’s abilities were, and Carmen was his mate.

When I get to Denali, Alaska fresh snow is dusting the thick blanket of old snow. I walk knowing it will be easier to get the scent, rather than in a car, and within five minutes I catch a vampire’s scent. I follow it too a house similar to the Cullen’s in the middle of a forest clearing. 

The lights are on, and I can hear people inside talking. I hope they don’t turn me away... I think as I knock on the door.

Tanya opens the door. “Sophia! I thought you we staying with Carlisle and his coven?” 

“I was, but Alice and Jasper were arguing. I didn’t want to make it worse, so I wanted to know if it was O.K. if I stayed here for a few days?” 

“Come in,” She smiles. “What happened?” 

“They divorced because Alice thought Jasper was going to cheat on her with me! Then, Alice left to go find her own mate.”

“So what’s the problem?” Kate interjects. 

“I just-”

“If they divorced it’s no longer cheating. And looking for her soulmate is moving on,” Kate explains. 

“But I don’t know if I like Jasper like that. Plus, Alice’s visions are subjective!”

“You wouldn’t have let Jasper go if there wasn’t something different about him,” Carmen adds. 

“I let him go because he was innocent,” I correct defensively. 

“Sounds like someone is a tiny bit defensive,” Eleazar teases. 

“I’m not defensive!” 

All of them give me a look. 

I sigh, “Maybe I am, but I haven’t seen Jasper in a century. Am I supposed to want to get him in bed the first second I see him?”

“Well no, but-” 

“I have some figuring out to do. I don’t even know what he’s done for the past century!” 

“Well you will give in eventually,” Tanya says. 

“What?”

“If Alice’s vision was of both of you... then you will have feelings for him and the other way around. I’m assuming she was mad because you weren’t repelled by each other,” Tanya elaborates.

“Can we drop it for now?” I sigh rubbing my temples. “I need to think.”