You Did What?

Third Person
The bunker

"What the hell do you mean you 'couldn't get it'?!" Dean bellows, ready to rip Castiel to bits.

"Dean, listen, I can explain," the angel bargains.

Dean places his hands on his hips. "Please do."

"When I raised you from perdition, it was very difficult to keep your soul intact. I'm the one who raised Sam from perdition, yes, but I couldn't get his soul. It was too risky."

"Too risky?" Dean tries him. "You pulled me out in one piece. You're going to get Sam's soul, so help me God."

"God won't help you," Castiel corrects. "And I can't do it. They know by now it was me, and they'll be expecting me."

"Damnit Cas!" Dean yells. "Couldn't you have just grabbed the damn soul on your way out?!"

"No, Dean. It doesn't just sit on some holy coat rack, and it isn't being held in the usual place."

"I'll show you a fucking holy coat rack," Dean grumbles. Castiel shoots him a look. "So where is it?"

"When Sam went to Hell, the reaper that took him took his soul with them into the veil. There's a sanctuary of souls in the veil that's guarded by reapers; only certain souls go there."

"How do we know you didn't put it there on purpose?" Sam interrupts.

Castiel becomes visibly angry at Sam's query. "How could you possibly think that?"

"I'm thinking a lot of things right now, Cas," Sam says. "I've been trying to figure out why I've been so messed up for the last year and a half, and only now am I learning that I don't have a soul anymore, when you've known this whole time!"

"I'm sorry," Castiel apologizes. "But I can't fix this."

"You feathered bastard, you will fix this," Dean seethes. But before he can lurch toward Castiel, the angel is gone, leaving thin air as a trace.

"What are we going to do, Dean?" Sam sighs. "We have no clue how to get into the veil. I know of a few spells to make contact with beings in the veil, but nothing to literally put us in it."

"Can we make contact with someone in the veil that can get us in?" Dean asks.

"We don't know anyone in the veil right now," Sam shrugged, "so it would be a shot in the dark."

"Alright, well, you start on the east side of the archives and I'll start on the west. Let's see if we can find something to get us into the veil."

First Person
The Veil

I sit and stare blankly at the traffic of reapers. Each one carrying a different soul, on a unique path to damnation or salvation. Today is slow for me – my father, the grim reaper himself, doesn't think I'm reaper material. Instead, I guard the soul sanctuary.

When I asked my father what it was, he explained to me that it's a special places for souls that are neither damned nor saved, and also not going to purgatory. It's a very small percentage. Maybe one or two souls out of the weekly one million average are brought to this sanctuary, and they have to go through me first.

These souls have a special path to be taken, either in life or the afterlife. People can live without their souls, and souls can live without their people.

A while back, one particular soul came to me that sparked my interest. It belongs to Sam Winchester, and it is still in my possession. I obviously allowed its entrance into the sanctuary, but not before giving it a thorough look over.