Sibling Talk

Not much time passes before Sam finally asks the burning question: "What's going on?"

I patch a vague statement to avoid going into detail. "Dean and I just aren't working."

"What? How?" Sam frowns. "You two have seemed fine."

"It's not really much of your business," I mumble.

"You promised answers."

"Are you always this fucking nosy?"

"Alright, jeez," Sam sighs.

A few moments of tension pass before I feel guilty. "Sorry. That was misdirected."

"It's alright. But, why?"

"I overheard a conversation between him and Jo," I sigh. My voice shakes, but I hold back the residual emotions I'm still feeling. "He said he doesn't love me. When Jo asked him if he was 'committed to me', he just said that it's complicated. And Jo kissed him, so there's that."

"And you didn't want to even talk to him about it?" Sam asks.

I shake my head. "He's been so closed off since Ellen and Jo got there. I don't think it would've helped. And still, the original agreement between all of us was that I would leave after this was all said and done. It's probably time for me to just go, anyway."

"You're the only one that thinks that," Sam tells me. "You know he's going to come find you as soon as he realizes what's going on, right?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"If you tell him, probably." I look at Sam pointedly.

"What? You want me to lie to Dean?"

I shrug. "Or if you feel like ratting me out, you can. It's your call."

"I'm just saying, Mal. He sees right through me, and how else would you have gotten to a safe house two hours away in the middle of the night?"

I frown. "You're right. It's fine if you tell him. I know he's not easy to deal with. I'm sorry to put you in this position."

"No, it's fine, I understand why you're leaving," Sam assures me. "I just wish you weren't."

"Me too," I whisper.

"It's not too late to change your mind, you know. I won't tell Dean."

I don't reply. I can see Sam's face out of the corner of my eye; he looks disappointed. It makes me sad to think about that, so I stare out the window until I drift off.

Sam wakes me up once we arrive at the safe house. He helps me carry my things in and shows me around. He takes some pride in showing me the hidden weapons and traps around the house, as well as the sigils that are engrained into the woodwork in certain spots.

"You should be safe here," he tells me. "Not as safe as the bunker, but at least for a little while. If something comes up, or if you feel even a little bit off, call. And if you decide you want to come back, call."

I nod. "I will. Thank you, Sam. I really appreciate everything you've done for me."

"Well, you did kind of give me my humanity back," he shrugs.

"I did, didn't I?" I banter.

He laughs and gives me a hug. "Be careful. Check in."

"Of course."

A few days pass. I don't hear anything from Sam, but Dean's left multiple voicemails on my phone. Each one a little more urgent than the last, asking me to pick up and come back. I haven't answered, because I know that I would probably go straight back.