All Work And No Play

As days go by in the veil, my boredom seems to loom over me like a dying tree. I haven't seen Jasper in a while, which sucks, but I assume he's busy doing something important.

Business, if you know what I mean, has been slow. I haven't admitted a soul to the sanctuary in a while. However, there's been talk of Winchesters and their angel friend planning on trying to get a soul from the sanctuary.

I laugh at the thought. Not on my watch.

My mind wanders; I think of what could happen if they possibly did succeed in their efforts of doing whatever it is that they're trying to do. First and foremost, my dad would have my skin hanging from a hook. Other than that, the veil would probably collapse into some sort of chaos for a while for no serious reason, and then return to normal. Of course, losing a soul isn't exactly something you'd strive for, but it's no reason to break into madness. Even still...

Finally, as I'm released on my break, Jasper shows up.

"Hey, Mallory!" He greets loudly from his spot in the normal traffic. I wave as he approaches me. "How's it going?"

"Normal," I reply. I have to laugh when he asks me that — as if we're normal people on the street. "Where've you been?"

"Oh man, I've got a story to tell you," Jasper practically bounces with excitement. We walk through a couple different rooms and decide to crash in the main chamber for a little bit. It's quiet in here at the moment because all of the reapers are busy.

"Your dad put me on this crazy job, you know," he brags. "There was some chick that wasn't resting properly or some bullshit, and she was full-on crazy. Your dad let me go retrieve her. It was crazy. She fought me a bunch until I got ahold of her. Look at this bruise -"

"Hold on," I interrupt. "My dad sent you to do this?"

"Well, yeah," Jasper scoffs. "You're his daughter, he'd never send you. You're like, the princess of the veil. If something happened to you, there would be an uproar."

"Doubtful," I shoot back. "I'm so sick of sitting at the step of the sanctuary all day. I don't get to do anything. I've heard about some little plan someone's trying to swing to get into the sanctuary, but I doubt it'll happen. And if it does, I doubt my dad will let me in on it."

"He's just trying to protect you," Jasper reminds me.

I sigh. "I'm tired of being protected. I want to go do things. Sometimes I sneak down to earth during my break but that's it. That's all I get to do."

"Mallory, that's dangerous, you shouldn't do it," Jasper scolds me. "What if you dad figured out?"

"It would be more excitement then I've gotten in my entire life," I drone.

Jasper doesn't argue with me any further. He takes on a different topic. "What was that about people trying to get into the sanctuary?"

I shrug. "Some of the reapers were talking about it earlier. Apparently some guy is alive without his soul, and it's in here, so they want to try and come get it." I dodge the fine details of the matter, unsure of whether other reapers are supposed to know. If it were anyone except the Winchesters, it wouldn't be a big deal. But everyone knows about those flannel-wearing idiots around here.

"Try," he repeats me with a laugh. "I think your dad would kill them off the second they got into the veil."

"I wouldn't doubt it," I agree.

Jasper and I let the hours pass with nonchalant conversation about people dying. After all, that's our business. As my break comes to a close, I make a final proposition to him.