A New Chapter

I'm up all night, and the next day comes quick. My nerves eat at me more and more every minute that I'm kept waiting. At 9:32, Sam and Dean saunter through the door and down the steps into the bunker.

"What happened to bright and early?" I ask.

"This is our bright and early," Sam grumbles. "We've been up since 4 a.m. to be here. Your boyfriend seems concerned."

"Excuse me?" I ask, glaring daggers at Sam. He just huffs a sigh and keeps walking.

"What's the plan here? Where's Cas?" Dean sinks into a chair, looking worn down.

"I don't -"

"Here," Cas announces himself, emerging from the hallway.

"He's here," I sigh.

"Are you ready?" Cas questions me. "I've been watching the samples all night and I think we should get a move on."

I nod. "Dean? Are you good? You know you don't have to help with this, right? You can rest."

"I'm good, just a little tired," he shrugs. He seems on edge, but I brush it off. "Go get yourselves all set up and I'll get some coffee."

I follow his directions. Cas and I wander down into the dungeon to the cell they first captured me in. Cas sets up everything he needs on a tray while I situate myself in the chair. Dean finds us and chuckles upon entry.

"Good times, huh?" He smirks.

"I hate you," I remark.

"You wish," he mutters behind his coffee mug.

Playfully, I glare at him, having no response. My attention is taken elsewhere as Castiel begins buckling the leather straps around my limbs.

I frown. "Why?"

"We don't know what could happen, it's just for good measure," he consoles.

"Fine."

"Are you ready?"

"Why do you keep asking that? It's not like there's anything I can do to prepare for this. Let's get it over with." I feel slightly bad for barking at Cas, but I've grown impatient between him pestering me, and then him asking me if I'm ready.

He nods and wheels the tray to where I'm sitting. "This might hurt."

I give him a nod as a green light. Cas inserts the large needle into my forearm and begins injecting the bright purple liquid. I can see it under my skin as it generalizes itself in the capillaries and veins. It looks like a map on my skin. As it spreads, I can tell it was in a cooler. My body is overtaken with chills as the purple liquid illuminates all of my blood vessels.

Dean looks weirded out — his face is scrunched up and his eyes are wide. The coffee in his hand seems to be forgotten as I practically glow with the fuscia hue.

Then the pain that Cas warned me about starts. It transitions from the tingling chills into what feels like a fire coursing in my veins.

I whimper a bit on accident. I try to clench my teeth and stay quiet. I bite my lips and clench my fists, focusing on the pressure rather than the pain I'm feeling. Right as it begins to die down, I feel a brand new shock of agony right at my core. I open my eyes briefly to see Castiel placing my soul where it might go.

The white hot pain sears my muscles and exhausts my nerves. I can tell the reaction between my soul and my DNA is taking place at a rapid pace, because after a few seconds that felt like several minutes, it dies down, and I start to relax.