Family Ties

Sam and Dean are gone on another hunt. I'm currently stuck at the bunker, awaiting Castiel, who is hopefully bearing good news with his hopefully soon arrival.

The boys left yesterday. They went to Oklahoma, and if I'm being honest, it took a lot for me to let Dean go. I never pegged myself as the clingy type until now.

Finally, without a knock or forewarning, Cas pops into the foyer, where I'm sitting.

"Hello, Mallory," he greets me in his gravelly voice.

"Hey Cas," I reply, "would it be possible for you to do that less...suddenly?"

"Sorry if I alarmed you, Dean has the same problem," Cas speculates. I nod, redness creeping up my neck. Dean and I haven't officially announced ourselves, but we both know that Sam and Cas are aware.

"Did you need something?" I ask.

"Yes. Well, you need something. And I have it."

I laugh. "Alright, show me what you've got."

Cas sits down across from me and folds his hands on the table. "I tracked down the most qualified surrogate in place of your mother. Did you know you have a sister?" He hands me a photo.

"A sister?" My jaw drops. She looks exactly like the photo I saw of my mom, once. I never saw it again, but I committed it to my memory. "Uh, I - a sister? Like, blood relative?"

"Half sister anyway," he patches his statement.

"That's completely different," I sigh. "Go on."

"She's your mother's daughter, but not your father's," he explains. "She's your best bet for having your mother's DNA. I've tracked her down, but haven't approached her yet. I thought you might want to accompany me."

I nod. "O-okay, yeah, I'd like to. When?"

"Now, if you're up for it."

"Okay."

Cas walks to me and gives me a quick warning to not move, then out of nowhere, we're on a sidewalk, in front of a house.

"Maybe a little more explanation before you zap people places?" I recommend. He shrugs.

"This is your sister's house. She's home alone. Her husband and son are shopping."

"Husband and son?" I ask. My heart hurts for a moment. I don't want to mess up a family by interfering. Dean said that this life has a way of doing that. Castiel nods, and starts toward the steps. My chest constricts from nerves.

I follow in his steps as he knocks on the door. Anxious, I tap my foot while we wait. Then, the door swings open. I could've sworn it was my mom if she wasn't dead. My sister smiles.

"Can I help you two?" She asks.

"Jaclyn, my name is Steve, this is my friend, Mallory. We've got a few questions for you, if you don't mind." Castiel talks smoothly.

"Of course," she permits. She steps onto the porch and shuts the door. "What can I do?"

"Your mother was Annie Thornton, correct?" Cas asks.

"Yeah...what is this for?" Jaclyn becomes noticeably uncomfortable.

"Mallory is Annie's daughter, your half sister," he says bluntly.

"C-...Steve," I warn. "A little forward." I address my sister. "My name is Mallory. We have different fathers. Maybe we should step inside."

She agrees, and we move inside. Once we're all comfortable, the questions begin.