One Step Behind

It's been about a year since I left the bunker. I've happily settled at a new safe house in northwestern Oregon — the only person who knows where to find me is Sam.

For a while, the silence was deafening. There weren't many nights that I didn't think about packing my things and returning to Lebanon. Whether I was on the road or comfortable at home, there was always a subtle longing that tugged at me.

But a few months passed, and I started to find my bearings. I've made my way into a community of hunters (and friendly creatures) in the Pacific Northwest. None of them know my past exactly, but they're all accepting enough not to ask. Most of them are also kind enough to join me when I ask for help on a hunt, and kind enough to keep an eye out for Sam and Dean when they're in the are.

Most.

Now, I sit in a beat up Ford Mustang that Sam convinced his friend Bobby to give me. Bobby and I have had brief interactions, not enough to know each other. I stare out at the foggy pines that tuck me into the mountain side and shield me from the rest of the world. I like it up here.

I make my way inside and lock myself in for the evening. After I stoke a fire and pour a glass of the whiskey that Dean and I used to drink, I settle down and fall asleep.

The next morning I wake up feeling groggy, but I roll myself out of bed anyway. I check my phone to see a few texts from Sigrid.

Your boys are on the move out in Hood River county. Hunting a vampire nest. The angel isn't with them.

I text back a quick thank you and grab a bag to pack. Within ten minutes, I'm out the door, headed to Hood River.

The drive is a short few hours. Hood River is a small county, so there's not much space for Sam and Dean to hide from me. Not that they know I'm here, anyway. 

After looking at reports for a while, I find that the nest is probably around or on Mount Hood. Why not? Nice mountain, plenty of hikers; it's a perfect spot for a vampire nest.

I drive to Parkdale, a tiny town near Mount Hood, and check into a motel. The good thing about Sam and Dean taking cases around here is that there's a lot of small towns, which makes them so easy to find and keep tabs on. The roar of the impala isn't easily masked when the population is less than a thousand people.

After sitting in boredom for a few hours, I hear it: the impala's purr in the parking lot. I peek out the shades of my window and watch them unload their gear.

It only takes them about 30 minutes to check in and settle down before they go out to scout the nest. I'm grateful they're going out while the sun is still up.

I follow a ways behind them and park in a spot that's not visible to them when we reach the nest. I have to admit, following them and hiding behind trees to make sure they don't notice me is tedious work.

Once they make their way into the cave, I crouch behind a bush near the entrance and just listen for them. I've never had to intervene on a case that I've followed them on, but whenever they're in the area, I go along just to make sure. No one touches those boys on my watch.

Some time goes by. Every few minutes I hear the gargling noise of a vampire meeting his demise by decapitation. I start to get bored until I hear yelling. First it's Sam, then it's Dean, yelling to Sam.

I can't make out what they're saying, so I go in a little further. It's silent for a minute, and then I hear a cry of pain from Sam, and all Hell breaks loose.

I can hear the hissing of fangs and Dean's struggled noises as he fights them off. I get close enough to see him fighting four vampires off. He takes two down, but he gets pinned by the third and fourth. To the side, Sam is holding his neck and struggling to breathe.