The Masquerade Ball

It was a gloomy night, the crescent moon shining down upon the Phantomhive Manor. But this was no ordinary night: a little secret was about to be revealed...

--

"Sebastian!" The young earl, Ciel, shouted angrily.

He was seated in his study as usual, filling out paperwork from the piles around his rustic wooden desk. Behind him, the moonlight illuminated the dark space and cast shadows wherever possible.

"Yes, my lord?" Sebastian inquired, stepping inside the room without making a noise. With his gloved hands at his side and maintaining a calm expression, he awaited Ciel's orders with patience.

"Here," the bluette stated and reached his hand outwards, revealing a clean white envelope with a blue stamp.

"Hm, what is this?" Sebastian gently took the envelope into his grasp. "Young Master, this is an invitation to a masquerade ball from Lady Windsor."

"I don't care for balls, Sebastian! What makes you think I'll go?" The annoyance in the young earl's voice was clear enough, but it didn't sway his loyal butler.

"Young Master, you wouldn't want to disappoint Lady Windsor, am I not correct?" A closed-eye smile became visible upon the ravenette's face.

Ciel sighed in defeat, a vein popping out of his cheek while his anger grew subtle. "...Fine, I'll attend the ball. Fetch the carriage, Sebastian."

"Yes, my lord..." Bowing politely, the butler left the room to fulfill his Young Master's orders.

- 1 Hour Later -

"Ciel, you're here!" Julie Windsor shouted. She watched Ciel and Sebastian step out of the elegant carriage from the front doors of the Windsor mansion.

She was dressed in her usual ensemble, dawning a black masquerade mask, while the duo were dressed for indoor festivities and wore matching masks.

"Good evening, Julie," Ciel approached her with a subtle grin, leaving Sebastian to follow close by. The three of them walked inside together, Julie tugging onto Ciel's right arm with her hands while Sebastian chuckled softly.

Inside the manor, orange and black decorations hung down from the ceiling as well as a chandelier with lit black candles.

Guests wore masquerade masks of various colors and shapes, ladies and gentlemen alike were all dressed up in outfits resembling witches, ghosts, and other creatures. At the top of the manor staircase stood an ensemble of instruments played by a group of young but talented men and women.

Both master and butler were taken aback by the scene in front of their eyes, bewilderment seemingly stopping them in their tracks.

"Come along, Ciel!" The silverette smiled, pulling the young earl foward by his free hand.

"Ah!" Ciel gasped. His top hat fell off his head and landed at Sebastian's feet.

In the meantime, the ravenette stood to the side, watching the duo dance along with the other guests and occasionally switch partners, while holding onto his master's hat.

Glancing around, he spotted a few familiar individuals at the refreshment table: a redheaded gentleman, a blond girl in a pink and white dress, and a blond boy sporting a pair of booty shorts.

He decided not to approach the table as one wrong move could provoke trouble and cause havoc within no time. Sighing, he focused on the dancing crowd, watching out for Ciel and Julie like a crow.

"My, isn't it a fine night? Halloween is the perfect excuse for a ball like this," a unfamiliar gentleman approached, speaking with a slightly British accent. He wore a black and orange suit with an orange masquerade mask decorated with sparkles, his long blond hair tied back into a ponytail.

"Is that so?" Sebastian inquired curiously, narrowing his eyes just as a dark lullaby began playing in the background.

"Yes, it is...Sebastian..." A chuckle slipped through the man's lips, his green eyes twinkled from behind his mask.

"How did you know my name?" The demonic butler faced the man, his instincts slowly kicking in.

The blonde bowed politely, faking a genuine smile as he introduced himself, holding his hand out afterwards.

"Oh, my apologies! I'm Charles Charming, Lady Julie's butler. She's told me lots about you and Lord Phantomhive."

"I see, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Charles," Sebastian shook his hand, allowing a smile to show through.

A feminine voice drew the two butlers' attention away from each other and toward the crowd. Julie rushed over to them, Ciel right behind her, shouting "Charles!" with a big grin on her face.

"Lady Julie! Is everything alright?" Charles took her up into his arms, leaving Ciel to stand beside Sebastian and recollect himself.

"Mhm, everything's fine, Charles! Oh, you met Sebastian already?" The silverette said with a little dismay, looking at the raven-haired butler.

"Why yes I did-" Charles started to respond when he took a glance at his watch for the time.

"Lady Julie, it's getting late! We must end the ball soon and get you to bed, you wouldn't want to miss your tea party with Lady Elizabeth tomorrow."

"Did someone call my name~? Oh my god, it's Ciel!!" A high-pitched voice spoke up, sending chills down Ciel's back just before he was tackled to the floor by a familiar blond girl.

--

Ciel pouted with Sebastian at his side while Elizabeth waved goodbye to Julie and Charles, who waved back happily, as they retreated to their carriages for the long ride home. The other guests had already left by this time and the musical ensemble left with their instruments.

While climbing into the horse-driven carriage with Sebastian's help, Ciel felt himself growing drowsy from all the dancing that night. Once seated inside, he closed his eyes and fell asleep while Sebastian hit the reins and the carriage began to move.

--

A/N: Finally started (and finished) this one-shot story! I wrote it all within the span of 2-3 days and I'm happy to have it done at last. I also appreciate the amount of support I've received from you readers. \(^O^)/ Reaching over 200 reads is a miracle itself and I just want to thank you again for picking up my little collection. Hope you're looking forward to the next one-shot, don't be afraid to comment or vote~! :D

Until next time, my cuties~