Chapter Four

Chapter Four (Alexander)

"Fan-fucking-tastic. Not only did I get a detention, beat up by the star-quarter back, lose the girl, and embarrass myself, but now I have a psycho gay vampire after me."

I sighed as I walked Mark home after getting him stable and on his feet again. He was changed back into his usual clothes, tugging his beanie on his head and touching the gauze on his throat. Despite everything that happened, though, all he had now were complaints. I was relieved that he promised to keep this a secret.

"Dude, can you see me trying to tell the school I was mauled by a homo vampire? They already think I'm insane! Telling people will just land me in the nuthouse!"

It made sense and I didn't feel too worried that he knew. I was just worried about what all of this meant. Part of me was hopeful that Storm would cave into his feelings for Mark and cancel our marriage. It gave me the chance to have a somewhat normal life.

A boyfriend, college, a job, a career. All of it sounded like heaven to me.

But I had to wait until I got home to ask Storm straight up what was going on in that head of us. For now, I tried to think about Mark and his trouble. He seemed a little jittery from it all, but otherwise, fine. It was the fact that he was talking about popping sleeping pills when he got home.

"What'd you mean?" I asked when he mentioned it. Mark looked at me for a second, then scowled.

"I told you before. I ain't dyin' yet. I just... feel like I'm going to have nightmares. Being attacked by a faggot for you is just sweet, sweet, sweet. For me, it's like a really bad trip on acid."

"I really hope you're not doing acid."

"Only twice."

"Mark!"

"I had my reasons," Mark snapped, surprising me with his hostility at the subject, "I have reasons for everything I do." I frowned at him, stopping him outside the trailer park to look at him seriously.

"Mark. I'm not the only one who smelled it. You're dying." I stated. Mark paused, studying my face before looking away in disgust.

"Please. You can't possibly smell that shit. This isn't fucking Twilight." He retorted bitterly, shoving his hands into his pockets, averting his eyes to study the trailers lined up. I followed his gaze. The trailers were mostly falling apart, resting on cinder blocks. I noticed one in particular had a roof ready to cave in and judging from the old man sitting on the porch, downing a bottle of vodka, that was Mark's trailer.

"Just don't do anything stupid," I sighed, making Mark glance at me, "I know we're not friends or anything, but you're still innocent and caught up in this whole mess. We'll talk more about it tomorrow." I started to leave, but Mark caught my sleeve, pulling me to a halt. I stopped and looked at him curiously.

"But just cuz we're not friends doesn't mean you're not gonna tell me everything," Mark said seriously, making me blink at his sudden change in attitude, "I want to know why you have to marry that guy. I want to know why you have to drink blood. I want to know how you become a vampire." My eyes widened for a split second before Mark roughly let go of me, whirling around and heading to his trailer.

I stayed on the sidewalk a bit longer, watching Mark head up the steps. The old man, his grandfather, barked something at him and almost tripped him with his foot, but Mark expertly leapt over it and disappeared into the trailer. I frowned as the old man yelled something in after him, then sat down in his seat. He noticed me staring.

"The hell are you lookin' at, pretty boy?! Get outta here before I call the cops!" He shouted, making me grimace. I headed down the sidewalk, ignoring his drunken rage as I headed back home, but kept a normal, human pace. I was in no hurry.