Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve (Alexander)

No one went to answer the door. We just stood there in the kitchen, staring down the hallway at the front door as someone knocked a second time before hitting the door bell.

"If it was Zephyra, they wouldn't knock." Amber offered, but we weren't willing to risk it. Storm took Mark by the arm and pulled him off to the side so they could hide on the other side of the fridge. Amber backed herself up into a corner away from the door and I stayed in the hallway, slowly heading for the door and ignoring Amber's orders for me to  come back.

The hairs on the back of my neck rose as I stood in front of the door as someone knocked again, followed by a pause and sigh that I immediately recognized. My eyes widened and I quickly undid the locks, opening the door to see Nicholas standing there in his soccer uniform with a Wolf Creek High sweatshirt over top. His dark hair was touseled from the cool breeze and his eyes seemed to brighten when he saw me.

"Hey, Alex." He greeted. I didn't know what to say at first, so I sort of sputtered, then felt my face grow hot as I took a deep breath, watching Nicholas smile more.

"S-Sorry about that. Uhm, do you... want to come in? It's probably cold." I offered stupidly, stepping aside. Nicholas nodded and came inside as I shut the door. Amber and the others didn't dare come out of their hiding places. I didn't mind. I wanted some privacy with Nicholas.

Some time to say goodbye.

As soon as the thought crossed my mind, my chest ached tightly and I felt the backs of my eyes burn with tears, but I didn't let them show as I smiled at Nicholas.

"I didn't think you wanted to talk to me anymore." I admitted with a shrug, reaching up to tuck some hair behind my hair uneasily. Nicholas blinked, looking surprised as he stood there with his hands in his sweatshirt pockets.

"No, no," He explained, "I just wanted to know why you ditched me on Friday night. The real reason." I frowned and glanced at him curiously.

"What did Amber tell you?" I asked, confused. Nicholas raised an eyebrow, giving me this skeptical stare.

"That Mark was mauled by dogs and you all went to the hospital," He answered, making me smack my forehead in embarrassment, "Although, I did hear Mark was in the hospital. Is everything all right?" I studied his concerned expression for a moment and melted, twiddling my fingers as I spoke.

"He's fine. Someone must have jumped him outside on the field. He was beaten up pretty badly, but... he should be fine." I replied quietly. Nicholas smiled in relief, tilting his head to study my face.

"That's good. I'm glad. How about you?"

"What about me?"

"Are you all right?"

"Oh," I blinked and let the question settle in my head along with the billions of other things that were swirling around in there before I forced a smile, "Totally fine. Just... busy with family matters." Nicholas didn't seem to believe me. I could tell by the way his expression became doubtful for a moment before he shook his head, biting his lip for a moment, scanning my house.

"You weren't at school today." He said at last, looking at me. Why was my face heating up like this? I felt like someone had lit my cheeks on fire. I rushed to come up with a lie and Nicholas caught me before I could even speak.

"And don't tell me you were mauled by dogs or werewolves or vampires or whatever." He added, making me stare at him. Well, part of that was slightly true, I thought with a grimace, then gestured to the stairs.

"Let's go where we have some privacy." I offered. Nicholas nodded and followed me as I led him up the stairs, mentally hoping that Storm, Mark, and Amber didn't do anything suspicious. In fact, Mark shouldn't even show himself if Nicholas knew he was in the hospital.