Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One (Nicholas)

"It's getting cold." Oscar muttered, rubbing his arms as he peered out the window before closing the curtains to turn and face me.

I just forced a smile, sitting at Oscar's crooked kitchen table with my hands on a mug of hot coffee that gave me goosebumps. Newt sat in the seat beside me, holding a cup of hot chocolate and quickly changing his disgusted expression to a sweet, innocent smile.

"What're you doin' so far out here anyhow, Nick? You can't drag kids out at night." Oscar scolded as he picked up his coffee, taking a deep gulp. I gave a nervous smile, rubbing the back of my neck as Newt kicked me under the table as a warning, but I kicked him back, making him yelp.

"Careful, that stuff is hot, kiddo." Oscar told him. Newt bit into his lip and smiled before hiding his face behind the mug, taking little sips and spitting it back into the cup quietly so Oscar wouldn't suspect. I looked away from him to study Oscar's face. He was impatiently waiting for a response that I honestly didn't have.

How could I tell him that I had joined some evil vampire clan just so I could get Alex back?

Oh shit, when I said it like that, I suddenly felt stupid. I shook it out of my head and just shrugged, taking a sip of hot chocolate, trying not to grimace at how heat sensitive my new fangs were. I set the mug down, looking up at Oscar, who was raising an eyebrow expectantly.

"Just takin' the kid for a walk and... hoping to see Alex." I added, feeling downhearted just by saying his name and grateful because the effect made Oscar believe me. He sighed, plopping down into a seat across from me, setting the mug down.

"Come on, man. You shouldn't get involved with that guy anyway. There's... something weird about him." He added. I frowned, looking at him confusion, ignoring the way Newt kept kicking my shin under the table.

"Weird?" I asked. Oscar nodded, taking a big gulp of hot coffee, and sighed.

"He's super smart. Did you know he's the one that got a perfect score on the SATs? Perfect score, man. That's inhuman. And I've never seen a zit on his face either. And you cannot tell me he used Proactive because that shit does not work, trust me." He added, waving his hand out for emphasis and shaking his head. I forced a smile.

"Because he's smart and hot makes him weird?" I asked, teasing him. Oscar blushed lightly, clearing his throat as he waved his hand at me.

"I ain't like you, Nick. I prefer a nice handful of breasts, maybe overflow," He added with a wink, making me roll my eyes and laugh, "I just think Alex is some kind of genetically altered human that the government lost." This time, I laughed even more as Oscar huffed in defense.

"Then explain how he looks just like his family?"

"Convenient placing."

"Oscar, that makes about as much sense as Red Field beating us at Homecoming."

"Okay, yea, that's true... But still, don't you think there's something different about him? He's not like Mark and those two usually end up together at some point or another. Whether Mark is taking his money or using him as a human shield." Oscar explained matter-of-factly. I knew full well what he meant.

I knew Alex was different.

He was different in more than one way. It wasn't just his perfect looks or his intelligence. He just stood out from everyone else and it was hard to pinpoint if it was just because he was a vampire or something even more special. Whatever it was, it attracted me to him even further.

I suddenly felt impatient.

I didn't want to sit here and catch up or run around hunting humans. I wanted to just hurry up and destroy Storm and get Alex back. The longer Alex and I were apart, the more my chest ached and my body burned. I wanted to hold Alex again, to kiss him and never let go.