Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen (Nicholas)

"What the fuck was that?"

I snapped my head to glare at Newt, who stepped into the house with a light, bouncy step that was almost unlike his real personality. The devious little brat that hid beneath the child-like exterior. His real personality made me want to punch him, but his face was too childish for me to hit. So I settled for giving him a death glare as he shut the door behind him, passing me a careless glance before looking at Jasper, who snorted an obnoxious laugh from the sofa.

"Watch it, Newt. You're pissing off the noob." He commented with a snicker, making Rhita elbow him as she sipped at her warm cup of O positive. It felt strange being able to smell just what type was bubbling in her black mug that read "I love cats". I frowned, then glanced back at Newt, who folded his arms over his chest, leaning his back against the door before glancing behind him thoughtfully.

"I wasn't doing it to upset you, Nicholas, but I suppose that was the bonus of my little visit. I'm so disappointed," He added with a frown, pushing off the door, "It would seem Alexander doesn't remember me. Have I changed in the past few years?" He reached up, touching his cheeks and giving them a little push as if trying to check for wrinkles. I scowled and Jasper grinned while Rhita rolled her eyes, her deep red hair falling in waves over the shoulder of her black and pink Happy Bunny silk pajamas.

"There are plenty if little children in the world with black hair and blue eyes. Besides, it's not as if you had a proper conversation with him anyway." She added drolly, staring at the fire tiredly. Newt paused, lowering his hands before shrugging.

"Not a proper conversation. Merely an introduction, but it was enough to stay in my memory. I feel insulted." He added flatly, brushing his fingers through his hair to keep it out of his face. I glared at him.

"I'm pretty sure Kristophe told you the only reason I'm here is to get Alex back. And by that, I mean all for myself." I told him bluntly. I wasn't shy around these guys anymore. They were shy around me anyway, so what did it matter if I was honest with them? Newt looked at me and smiled faintly.

"Yes. And I suppose Kristophe neglected to tell you my reason for being here." He replied, then without another word, walked off to the stairs, ignoring Jasper's taunting about being a little pervert. I didn't argue with Jasper's accusations, and neither did Rhita. I sighed, frustrated, walking over and plopping down in one of the velvet Victorian seats in front of the burning fire place.

We were silent for a while, Jasper just humming the tune to AFI's Fainting Spells as he studied the flames. The fire made Rhita's hair look like it was flaming, the way it made the red shine. I frowned, glancing at them, then back at the fire.

"So. I have a reason to be here. Newt does too. What about you two?" I asked calmly, putting my elbow on the arm rest, leaning my cheek against my knuckles. Rhita peered at me past the rim of her mug, taking a huge gulp of warm blood that made my mouth dry the instant I smelled it. She seemed less willing to respond, though, as Jasper smirked, flashing his fangs at me as he slumped against the back of the sofa, throwing his arms across it and making Rhita look at him in disgust.

"I'm here because I love playing with people and I'm smart about it too," He added with a wink, then glanced back at the fire with a nostalgic smile, "Of course, I have plenty reason to hate Vladimir and his stupid little cult. You probably wouldn't know, being a newborn halfblood. You don't know about Vladimir's conquest for power. You don't know that he wiped out as many people as possible so as to make the Gothica Clan the most powerful of the Court of Seven. He wants to turn this aristocracy into a monarchy. He didn't just wipe out the head and heirs of each clan, oh no. He killed anyone remotely close to them, including the cousins and the halfbloods." I blinked, frowning at him now.