Chapter Five

Chapter Five (Alexander)

"So, let me get this straight..." Mark said slowly, surprisingly not even touching his burger and chips as we sat alone outside during lunch, enjoying the cool autumn breeze as dead leaves danced past us. I just sat there and prepared myself for Mark's exaggerated recount of everything I had just told him.

I silently sipped my O positive through a straw in my thermos as Mark took a single chip and continued.

"Your race of vampires thinks that by putting two male pureblood vampires together, you two can procreate by biting humans and turning them into halfblood vampires. In doing so, you have this whole male clan thing that'll dominate your race. But they have to be purebloods because only pureblood males can turn people and only pureblood females can give birth. This is why you have to get married to your Storm guy."

"But," Mark continued, making my lips work into a frown around my straw as he shook his head slowly, "You don't want to get married to the guy you've been engaged to since you were ten. You want to marry some weak little human at our school who has an average GPA. Average house. Average life. Oh, and let's not forget that you're hanging out with the school pothead. Did I get that all right?"

I went over all his words in my head, then gave a nod as I set my thermos down. Mark threw his hands up in disbelief.

"Are you stupid?! You can take over the whole school, the whole planet! Man, you vampires never think things through. If I were a vampire, I'd make my own freakin' army and kill all the humans. Then we wouldn't have to worry about global warming or cancer or any of that shit!" He exclaimed, smashing his fist down on his burger to flatten it before he took a nibble, only to set it down again.

I scowled before taking another sip of O positive.

"You don't get it, Mark," I explained sternly, "Just because we're all powerful does not mean that we can take advantage of it. That's why humans are so idiotic. Once you get power, you want more and you want to take over the planet. You forget the natural order of things. The Goddess never created us with the intention for us to dominate the planet. She created us to keep a natural balance. We only worry about our own problems, not the problems of humans. I know, we could probably save people from tons of diseases, but that's not the way the world works. By saving one life, we disrupt another and probably kill someone else."

"I don't get it." Mark huffed, disgruntled as he ate a handful of chips. I rolled my eyes, then glanced at the street to see an old woman hobbling across the walkway. I tapped Mark's shoulder and pointed, making him glance up.

"See that woman?"

"Yea, so?"

"Say for example she got hit by a car."

"Dude!"

"I'm explaining! Shut up. So she gets hit by a car and I go over there and take her blood, giving her mine in return so she lives. She'll be a halfblood and she'll survive for centuries. However," I held up a finger, then pointed to the guys who were playing basketball on the court near the school, "Say Lebron James over there. Because I saved that old woman from a fatal car accident, he could end up taking her place. He'll be hit by a car tomorrow or the day after or the day after that. It's called equivalent exchange. The natural order of the world around us."

"If we went around saving people, we'd be killing others or worse. Mother Nature has a plan for things. Everything happens for a reason and trying to change that reason will only harm the balance." I finished before taking a sip. Mark blinked and studied the old woman as she safely made it across the street, hobbling back to her home a few houses down. He looked away for a while, surprising me with how serious his expression seemed before he looked up.