nine

"so, you're quitting?" ashton asks as i slide over the cup of black coffee to him

i nod my head.

"i'm gonna work at the bakery down the street. it's more useful for my skill set. and they pay more." i chuckle.

he nods, sipping on his coffee.

"well, maybe i could take your job? the one here, i meant. and i could enroll luke in a daycare for when i'm working?"

i shake my head at him.

"nonsense. i'll watch him. save your money."

he sighs, shaking his head at me.

"no. i can't ask you to do that. plus, what would roger or the boys say? they already think i'm in love with you."

i snap my head up at him.

"what?"

"don't act coy with me honey. you're a terrible liar and those boys are terrible at hiding their side glances. and don't even get me started with roger." he chuckles.

i sigh, feeling guilty for the boys actions.

"don't feel bad. i understand. if the roles were reversed i'd honestly feel the same way roger does."

i give him a sad smile and the owner walks into the shop. he grumbles a 'morning' to me as he brushes his way past me. i send ashton a look, silently asking him to wish me luck.

"mr. hemming. i was actually hoping to speak to you."

"what is it hallie?"

"actually it's honey. but that doesn't matter. um, sir i'm actually here to tell you that i'm resigning."

he snaps his head up furrowing his eyebrows.

"and who said you could do that?"

"well, sir, i've got a job lined up for me. it's a better fit for me and i've already found a replacement for you he's-"

he sticks his hand up stopping me from speaking.

"i asked you a question henrietta."

"it's honey, sir. and i said i could. so if you'll please give me the money i'm due. the man who will be replacing me is downstairs. i could train him for free if you'd like. but i'm leaving, sir. and by law, there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop me."

he scoffs, grabbing an envelope from his desk, throwing it at me. it hits my cheekbone, sure to leave some sort of scratch. i scoff and lean down to pick up the envelope.

"you'll train the new employee off the clock. throw your punch card out when you leave."

i nod, rolling my eyes as i walk out, envelope full of cash in hand. i walk into the cafe to see roger and john sitting at the table with ashton. they all turn to look at me and roger immediately stands, putting my face in his hands. his nostrils flare and he clenches his jaw.