Despair

The night was not nearly as calm as I expected, Jasper spent it screaming. I gave up sleeping in the middle of the night and went to where he was, to try to help.

Clarke was leaving when I entered the drop-ship, I didn't get it but I kept walking until I saw Monty and him.

"Hey, Monty. How's him?" He didn't answer. "He's gonna be alright, don't worry."

"I hope so, (Y/N)." He thought that like everyone else I was just trying to make him feel better, but in fact, I knew the truth. He was actually going to be okay, for now.

"Where's Clarke?" I asked.

"Getting new water."

"Oh, okay. Do you think she minds if I help?" He just smiled a bit, meaning she didn't mind.

Clarke came back after a few minutes and she thanked the help. We spend the whole night taking care of Jasper. I knew he would be okay but it still hurt to see him that way.

Three days passed by, and nothing had changed. Clarke kept taking care of him, explaining to me what she was doing, I was actually enjoying it.

"The grounders cauterized the wound. Saved his life." She said, not understanding.

"Saved his life so they could string him up for live bait. Garden of Eden this ain't." Finn arrived, already complaining.

"This is infected. He could be septic." Clarke seemed a bit lost. "Any progress on using the wristbands to contact the Ark?" Monty didn't answer. "Monty?"

"That would be a firm no."

"My mother would know what to do," Clarke said, clearly in pain.

"Don't punish yourself, he'll be okay." I tried to comfort her and she thanked me, smiling.

"How's he doing?" Wells said, getting near us.

"How does it look like he's doing, Wells?" Clarke said, angry.

"Hey, I'm just trying to help," Wells said.

"Right, you wanna help?" Clarke said, obviously thinking of something that didn't seem like a good plan. "Hold him down. All of you."

Me, Finn and Wells all held Jasper, so Clarke could warm the knife in the fire and do something that I didn't get.

"I'm not gonna like this, am I?" Monty seemed scared.

Jasper kept screaming while we tried to hold him.

"Hold him still. I need to cut away the infected flesh." Clarke advised.

I couldn't even look at him, even Monty was holding him down now.

"Stop it! You're killing him." Octavia arrived, running to Jasper.

"She's trying to save his life," Finn replied.

"She can't." Bellamy, who had just arrived, joined the conversation too.

Wells got up and stared at Bellamy while breathing heavily.

"Back off."

"We didn't drag him through miles of woods just to let him die," Clarke added.

"Kid's a goner. If you can't see that, you're deluded. He's making people crazy." Bellamy said, looking at her.

"Sorry if Jasper's an inconvenience to you, but this isn't the Ark. Down here, every life matters." Clarke replied.

"You go, girl," I whispered. I kept caressing Jasper's arm, to calm him down.

"Take a look at him. He's a lost cause." Bellamy insisted. I rolled my eyes.

Everyone kept silent, no one knew how to answer.

"He'll only be a lost cause if he stops breathing," I said looking at Bellamy.

Monty smiled at me. But Bellamy didn't seem convinced, neither did Octavia.

"Octavia, I've spent my whole life watching my mother heal people. If I say there's hope, there's hope." Clarke reassured.

"This isn't about hope, it's about guts. You don't have the guts to make the hard choices. I do. He's been like this for three days. If he's not better by tomorrow, I'll kill him myself." Bellamy got near the stair to go downstairs. "Octavia, let's go."

"I'm staying here." She answered.

"Power-hungry, self-serving jackass. He doesn't care about anyone but himself." Monty said, and it hurt me a bit. "No offense." He said looking at Octavia, she denied with her head.

"Yeah. Bellamy is all that. But he also happens to be right." Finn replied.

Clarke looked in shock at Finn, I was starting to feel annoyed at that, everyone was so dramatic.

"C'mon, guys. Just have a little faith." I tried and looked at Jasper once again. "You'll be okay, don't worry."

Meanwhile, Clarke and Finn left, one at a time. Clarke was clearly mad at him. Left us to take care of him, to do something I didn't hear what it was.

Then I remembered, it was the red sea-weed, that could help Jasper.

A few hours later everyone started to get inside the drop-ship, locking the doors and coughing.

"What's happening?" Monty asked, scared.

"Air got thick, everybody's skin started burning." A guy said.

"No, no, no," I whispered getting up.

Atom. I didn't even try to save him. I didn't know it was now. I had to do something. But it was probably too late. Now his blood was on my hands too.

"Guys... My brother's out there." Octavia said.

"He's gonna be okay. We're all gonna be okay." Monty answered since I was too shocked to talk.

"Don't worry, O...ctavia." Shit. Ther I was with nicknames again. I knew Bellamy was gonna be okay, he was the least of my concerns right now.

A/N

First of all, thank you so much for 500 reads! So, I just decided I'm gonna publish every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday so get ready! I really hope you are enjoying it. Please vote if you're liking this and comment your opinion. Besides, I would really like to publish a book like this for another fandom, maybe Teen Wolf or MCU but if you have any other suggestions please tell me!