Sunday

I sit in a pew listening to my father preaching about the sins of this world and how the second coming is sure to happen soon with all the gays around. I feel the congregations eyes on me. I keep my head slightly lowered so my eye is less noticeable. As the chiming of the bell signals the end of the service I quickly get up and head outside. I cross the street to the play ground where I'll wait for my parents. I see people talking to my father as they exit the church. I swing back and forth on the swing set as I wait. I wish Sally were here I would make out with him right in front of my dad. Then at least I would have kissed sally and be dead in the same day.

"Hey Travis." I look up at the girl in front of me. One of Sally's friends, Ashley I think her name was. "What do you want?" I mumble aiming my face downward so she couldn't see my face. "I was gonna ask if you're okay, that eye looks worse every time I see you." She sits down on the swing set next to me. "Can I ask what happened?" I shrug. " I ran into my door that's all. No big deal, right?" She purses her lips, her grip tightening on the chain holding the swing up.

"Did your dad do that to you?" I shrink at her question. "He did, didn't he?" I scowl. "So what if he did? Why do you care all the sudden anyway, it's not like we're friends." That comment turns her expression sad. "You're right Travis we really aren't friends, but that doesn't mean I don't want to be. Look you seem cool once, you know, you stop lashing out. Sal said you just need some friends and hey I'm cool with being one. All I want is for you to either except or reject my offer."

We sit in silence for a moment, chatter drifting across the road. "It was my dad. He hits me and my mom sometimes if we speak against him. I accidentally stood up for gays yesterday and he went off." Ashley looks across the road. "Yeah I heard his sermon about how they deserve to die. It's not fair that he can influence so many people without giving the people he's damning a chance." I just nod. "You know you could always call child services or the police. What he's doing to you and your mom is a crime. It's abuse, Travis, and he has to pay for it."

I shake my head. "All the police around here know him they would never believe he's beating his wife and son. He puts on this act that he's so great but he's not, he sucks ass." I hear a sad chuckle come from Ashley. "I'm sorry you have to go through this shit Travis." I shrug at that comment. "It's whatever." She stands as her name is called across the street. "Bye Travis, see you at school." I look up at her. "Hey Ashley!" I call out. She turns to me as I jog up to her. "Can you not mention this talk to anyone for me I don't want people to know about my dad." She smiles and pats my shoulder. "My lips are sealed." I give her a quick smile. "Thanks."

She joins her family across the street and soon enough so do I. We walk home in silence. When we get there my mother starts on lunch and my dad sits in the living room and turns on the tv. Before I can reach the stairs I hear my name being called. I go into the living room and stand beside the tv. "So who was that girl you were talking to?" I grab the edge of my shirt. "She's from school she was asking about a project in one of our classes." I cocks an eyebrow. "Why didn't she know the project?" I glance up at him. "She missed that day had an appointment for the doctor or the dentist something like that." His eyes stare into me. "What's her name?" His voice is gruff. "Ashley." I breathe out. He nods and leans back in his chair muttering her name to himself. I leave and head upstairs.

I close my bed room door and start taking off my church clothes, hanging them up, and putting them into my closet. I pull out more comfortable clothing and put them on. I lay down onto my bed and stare at the ceiling until lunch is done. My mother brings my food to me so I can work and eat at the same time. I pull some books out of by bag and bite into my tuna fish sandwich. I continue reading of mice and men.

"Why aren't you paying attention to me." Sally's voice is soft next to my ear. "I'm concentrating." I absentmindedly respond. "But I'm bored of just sitting here." His hand slides down my chest. "Can't we just have some fun." I gasp as his hand slides over my now hard.....I shake myself out of my daydream and put down my book. I pull out my journal and start writing.

Darling, Sally Face, I have the upmost wonderful feeling about you. I wish to tell you how I feel in person. If you would be so kind as to meet me at the playground across from the church I will express my feeling to you. I hope you may come at least out of curiosity. Please come alone for I will be to shy to speak before any other than you. I will be seated upon the swing set. Yours truly,...

I leave the place where my name should go blank. If he wants to come then he will come. There is nothing I can do if he doesn't show up. Then again it could be easier if he didn't but I wasn't gonna risk it. I quickly get up with the brilliant idea to look my best without raising suspicion from my father. I set my alarm clock early and start putting on outfits. I finally choose a light pink short sleeve button up, some jeans, and my normal green shoes. I pull out my nice comb and gel for my hair. I grab my nice cologne and put it on my sink next to my tooth brush.

I look at myself in the mirror my tanned skin is clear, all besides the bruising around my eye but that can't be helped. I don't need to shave or anything so I should be good. I plan out my shower and everything down to the tee and before long it's time for dinner. I head downstairs with a smile on my face but it falls as soon as I catch a glimpse of my father. "You're in a good mood did you get a nap?" My father comments. "No, I just finished the book we're reading for class. That means I'm ahead of all my class mates since they're all on chapter three." My father almost looks impressed but he never is. "Good job son." We slowly eat dinner my father making a comment every so often. I excuse myself early and go upstairs and actually finish of mice and men. When I'm done I take a shower and get into bed. I close my eyes and dream of tomorrow.