Not Sal too

Sal didn't do well after Larry died. He was quieter. Not himself. He was messing with the weird guitar Todd had made him. When I woke up one morning he was gone. I sighed. He had been distancing himself from me for a while now.

"I understand he needs his alone time but he can always talk to me." I place my hand onto my cheek. "Sometimes they just need their space man. Todd isn't okay either he grew up knowing Larry. You know how it is. Losing someone that close to you is hard. Just give him some time. I'm sure they'll come around. They are adults after all. Besides Sal's probably just visiting his god daughter, what's her name again?" I sigh. "Soda. Her names Soda."

Neil shakes his head. "Chug shouldn't have cursed his kid that way. Soda is a terrible name." He stands up and puts his cup in the sink. "Anyway man just chill, Sal will be better soon as long as you support him." I nod. "Thanks man." Neil shrugs. "No problem dude." I go upstairs to mine and Sal's room. It's been getting messier and messier since Larry died. That can't be any good for Sal's mental health. I grab a basket and throw all the discarded clothes into it. I take it to the basement and start the washer. Then I grab a trash bag and pick up all the food wrappers and soda cans scattered across the floor. I stack the dirty plates bowls and glasses and stick them in a box to go downstairs. I make the bed and open the blinds. I dust and sweep. I wash the dishes and put them away. I fold the laundry and put the clothes in their proper drawers.

By the time I'm finished with all that Sal still hasn't come home and I'm worried. At that moment I hear sirens. I rush to the window to see police cruisers headed towards Addison Apartments. I pull on my shoes grab, grab my keys, and rush out the door. I run all the way to the apartments to see at least five cruisers sitting there. I see Sal covered in blood being escorted out of the door hands behind his back and head down.

"NO SAL!" I shriek and run forward. I'm stopped by an officer holding me back as I kick and scream all the time reaching for Sal. Time seemed to slow down. The sirens quieted and Sal looked up at me. His eyes were sad. His body weary. His mask stained with blood. It felt as though I could hear his voice. "I had to. I'm so sorry Travis." The world sped up again when a shriek splits the air. I look to see Todd kicking and screaming. He too was handcuffed but he wasn't covered in blood. His eyes were wild and red. I looked back at Sal to see him being shoved into a police car.

I try again to get to him but the officer is still holding me back. It isn't until the car drives away that I finally hear the words she's saying to me. "Sir it's going to be alright. We caught the murderer." I look at her and her face was sincere. She pulled a pack of tissue out of her pocket and handed it to me. I realized I'm crying. "Can you take me to the station. That man is my fiancé and I need to know what happened." She nodded and escorted me to what I could only assume was her car.

When we get to the police station she has me wait in the hall. She goes into an office to talk to who I can only assume is her boss. After a while she comes out and gestures for me to follow her. We enter a small room with bars on one side. I see Sal sitting on a bench screwed to the wall. I rush to him. "Sal!" He looks up and stands quickly. I grab the bars and he comes towards me. "What happened you have to tell me." I say when he's right in front of me. He gently places his hand on mine. Dried blood cakes his fingers. "The red eyed demon." He whispers. "It possessed everyone in there. I had to kill them. But Todd he lived and the demon lives in him."

Sal looks me in the eyes. Tears well up and run down behind his mask. "I'm sorry Travis. I love you so much. More than you could ever know." He unclips his mask and pushes it up to reveal his mouth. He leans forward through the bars and kisses me. "I'll see you soon okay." He smiles before pulling it back down. Little did I know that was the last time I was ever going to kiss him. He sat in jail for years and I would visit I would mostly do the talking and he would listen. I wore a ring on my left hand and would wear the one I bought for him around my neck. It wasn't until they released his trial dates that I realized how terrible this all was.

I awoke one morning to a knock on my door. I must have fallen asleep on my couch again. That seemed to happen more and more these days. Slowly I walk to the door and open it to find Ashley standing there. "Hey Travis can I come in?" I nodded and invited her inside. She comes in and I make some hot tea for her and myself. We sat in silence while we sip at our beverages. "Let's just cut to the chase." She finally says setting down her mug. "I know you and Sal are engaged and that I used to be his close friend but." She closed her eyes and took a breath. "They asked me to testify against him in his trial." I felt my heart drop and I heard the shatter of my mug hitting the floor. "You were his friend." I state calmly. Ash's eyes dart to the floor covered in glass then back at me. "You saw the crazy things he told me about. You were there. In all of his stories you, Todd and Larry were there. And now Larry's dead and Todd's insane." She cut me off. "You don't know if he's insane." I slam my fist on the table and stand up. "OF COURSE I DO ASHLEY I'VE SEEN HIM. I VISITED HIM IN THE ASYLUM. ME. NOT YOU. I KNOW WHAT HES LIKE." I sit back down tears running down my face. "You left." I sobbed out. "You left Sal in his time of need and you never came back. Not until it was time to stab him in the back." I look into her eyes. "Why Ash? You were my first friend. You cared so much for Sal and me. Why would you do this to him. To us."

She shook her head. "He killed an entire apartment complex of people. And if I'm completely honest I don't know what I saw as a kid. The entire thing feels like a dream to me. I'm sorry Travis." She sighed and stood up. "It was nice seeing you again. I'll see myself out." She left with a click of the door.

Days past and I find the trial closer and closer. Finally the day comes. I dress myself up nice and arrive five minutes early. I sit near the back and watch as others walk in. I see Ash walk in and she gives me a weak smile. I look away. I finally see him being escorted in by guards. Orange is not his color at all but it's all they got I guess. I sit and listen to the trial but I don't hear anything. My eyes are glued to the love of my life. Before I know it they're taking a brief recess. I stand and walk to the gate blocking me from Sal. "Sal." I say my voice barely above a whisper.

He turns to me and I see the sadness in his eyes. "I love you no matter what happens." I say my voice cracking. "Don't be sad my love. I'll wait for you. I promise." I nod not really sure what he means. I quickly sit when the jury walks back in. "Have you reached a verdict?" I swallow hard. One of the jury members stands. "Yes we find Sal Fisher..." I hold my breath. "Guilty of all charges. We here by sentence him to death by electric chair."

"No!" Erupts from my mouth along with sobs. The court room booms with praise and crying. Sal is ushered away before I can even touch him. I'm pulled out of the court room. I go home and cry until I can't anymore. The day I knew he was going to die I pull my blinds close and sat in the dark. I didn't want to know anything. I jump when a knock sounds at my door. I slowly get up and answer it. I see Ashley standing there like she had been days before but this time she has mascara running down her cheeks and a Polaroid is her hand. "I was wrong and I need your help to prove it." She states. "I don't understand." I say shaking my head.

"Sal is innocent and the red eyed demon is real."

To be continued