Chapter 3 - Confusion

Dinner was a happy occasion. The family was thrilled to see Khushi. Dadi loved her ever since the first time she had met her, not just because she was beautiful, and intelligent, and of course, having Lucknow as a background was a plus. But it was more because she had excellent values instilled in her. And despite being from the more modern generation, she knew their culture and traditions quite well.

NK's mother had always wanted the best for both of her sons. Akaash was still young and working for their family business in Canada, but NK was at the perfect age for marriage. Although she had wanted a former Miss India for her son, Khushi would suffice. Manorama would not deny that Khushi was stunning. Probably even more beautiful than any other model considering that Khushi's beauty was natural, and that was rare to find. She was sweet, pretty, knew how to cook her favourite dishes and was even from a considerably wealthy family. Although her parents died years ago, Khushi had graduated from an excellent Canadian University , went on to do her MBA in business, and was now taking over the business that her father had left behind, almost single handedly. She was at first reluctant, but Manorama later realized that they would never find anyone as perfect as her. She would be a great bahu.

Anjali had always wanted a little sister. Growing up with 3 brothers and being the only girl could be very hard at times. She had no one to shop with, no one to gossip with and no one to have some plain girl time with. But now, she had found that she could do all of that with Khushi. She was like the little sister and best friend she never had. Although the family had accepted her whole heartedly, Anjali hoped that soon she could live under the same roof as Khushi. Anjali could not wait until Khushi came into the house officially as her Bhabi.

Anjali's husband Shyam was an excellent lawyer, which was why he would constantly be away from home working on some case, or the other. But Shyam never missed out on a dinner with Khushi. He thought she was adorable, like the family's own sunshine, a breath of fresh air. Always warm, and sweet, and always providing for others. They had developed an easy brother sister camaraderie, and Shyam was pleased to say that NK had chosen a gem.

Even the ever working Manohar, NK's Babuji and Anjali's Mamaji, was very fond of Khushi. Anjali was the closest thing he had to a daughter and now he could proudly add Khushi to the list. Not only was she very sweet, she was also quite intelligent. Not everyone liked to talk about business, as it was a slightly boring topic, but Khushi and Mama Ji always did. He was not quite sure if she thought the subject boring or not, but she never refused him, because she was just that polite. So whenever he wanted to chat about deals, or properties, they would do so over a cup of tea.

-------

Khushi ate dinner a little more silently than usual. She just wanted to go home and sleep. No, actually she wanted to cry, and she wanted to yell. After all these years, he was in front of her again. Out of all the people in the world, he just had to be NK's cousin. Although it was many years ago, she could not deny the care she felt for Arnav even today. It's true when they say that you never forget your first love. After all, she had loved him since she was a little girl; it wasn't easy forgetting, when her childhood was practically linked to him. Upon seeing him, all those feelings and emotions she had kept bottled up inside of her, suddenly flowed out. She was lost and tangled in this web of confusion. What now? She repeated the question over and over again in her head. Of course it wasn't that she hadn't heard about him over the past couple of years. She had seen his picture on many front covers of newspapers. He must have moved on, but what did he think about her? SHe regretted that he probably remembered her as some desperate annoying little girl that was head over heels in love with him'. She should probably go talk to him, tell him it was their past. How awkward must he be feeling right now? Knowing that his cousin's current girlfriend was once madly in love with him! She turned to him and ended up staring directly into his beautiful caramel coloured orbs. 'Stupid, stupid, stupid' thought Khushi. 'Of course you of all people would be in this situation'

"Khushi bitiya? Is everything alright? You seem more quiet than usual. We thought you would have many stories about your trip to Boston?" said Nani smiling.

"Woh...Nani ji, I'm just tired, that's all. I literally just came in before NK called and told me to come over for dinner" she said smiling at NK while shaking her head.

"Hey, it's not my fault! I really missed you, okay?" NK said with a huge grin.

Khushi's eyes widened at NK's sudden boldness, and saw that the rest of the family members were laughing, excluding Arnav. He was still staring at her intensely almost as if he had not blinked at all. She was feeling very self conscious all of a sudden, so she excused herself to the washroom upstairs needing to wash her face and stop hyperventilating.

Soon after, Arnav excused himself as well, using the excuse of having important work to do, and left upstairs. He would not get a better opportunity than this.

She dried her face on a towel and looked at herself in the mirror. Much better, she thought. She regained a bit of colour on her face and lost the paleness from shock of seeing Arnav. 'Khushi, it's all your past, forget about it! You have NK now, Arnav was just your high school crush" she thought to herself. And with that, she left the bathroom, only to feel her wrists being grabbed by someone and banging into a hard chest.

"Arnav?" she asked confused.

"What, did you think it was NK then?" he asked.

"Uhm, no...I mean yes but..." she said nervously. She hadn't expected him to be like this around her. Was he mad about something? She had to clear everything up immediately.

"Look Arnav, we need to talk about this '" she said, but was cut off by Arnav mid sentence.

"YES, we really do need to talk about this. What is all this Khushi?! You're in a relationship with NK?? How...?" he whispered the last part sadly.

"What are you talking about Arnav? Look, I know that this might be weird for you, you know, me dating your cousin. But our past, was our past right?" she said not quite sure anymore if she was trying to convince him, or herself. "I know you probably remember me as some annoying brat, who was obsessed with you, but I've changed Arnav, I really have. My parents' death brought a big change in me, and when I had no one, NK was there. And now we're happy" she said with a small forced smile.

"Khushi, I don't think you quite understand. That night after you left, I realized what an idiot I was. I went back to go apologize and tell you that we could have everything you wanted, but...you were gone. And then I thought I would confess my love for you at graduation, but I found out you left. I felt like everything was over, but I never gave up because I knew you would come back to me" he said coming closer to her.

"You know Khushi, at first I thought that all of this was some stupid crush that we had, but as the years passed, I never once forgot about you. Nani and Di tried so hard...introduced me to girls...None of them were you" he whispered now caressing her cheek with his thumb.

Suddenly all the emotions that she thought were gone, came out in the form of tears and broken sobs. He grabbed her and hugged her with all his might. He felt moisture on his own cheeks and realized she was crying. He hid his face in the crook of her neck and breathed in her scent, a scent he thought he had forgotten. In that very moment, they both embraced each other as if there was no tomorrow.