Chapter 30 A - Outset

1 week later, the Guptas sat at the lunch table as Buaji served her three children. Siddharth stuffed his face, continuously shoving large amounts of food in his mouth. He earned a disgusted look from Payal and a flicker of amusement in Khushi's eyes as she tried not to smile.

"What, I'm hungry! Oh and Khushi Di, would you pass me that file beside you?" Siddharth asked, and Khushi complied immediately.

"Sid, didn't I tell you that work is not allowed at the table?" Madhumati chided.

"Ma, I just need to look at something. We're going to be busy all evening anyways for that boring..." Siddharth caught his mothers glare from his peripheral vision and rephrased. "I mean, we're going to be busy all evening for that fun function!"

"What do you think I should wear Sid?" Payal asked. "That pink dress, or the white one?"

"Does it look like I care?" Siddharth asked, dodging a piece of salad that Payal threw in his direction.

"What dress? I picked out a sari for you." Madhumati said sternly; as she finally sat down to eat her own meal.

"Ma!" Payal complained.

"I don't want to go. What will I do there anyways? Khushi Di is not going either." Siddharth butted in.

"Titaliya...are you sure you don't want to come? I'm sure you would love the atmosphere there...you have always loved weddings." Buaji tried to convince Khushi who toyed around with her food.

"No Buaji, I'm not feeling too well. I think I will pass this time...I'm sure the atmosphere is lovely. However, I'm just not feeling it right now." Khushi smiled wryly.

Madhumati nodded. She was pleased with Khushi so far, not exactly happy, but she could handle these circumstances. Her niece was not sulking around; one could easily tell that she might be sad; however Khushi was handling it quite well. Madhumati could imagine how hard it must have been for her; however Khushi was okay so far. She had always been strong, and Madhumati knew Khushi would be able to work through it this time, she was coping...she only prayed for a miracle of sorts. Something was would truly give Khushi the contentment she deserved...even if it meant going against her own thinking. She would not make the same mistake twice...

"Only if you say so Khushi. I will not force you." Madhumati smiled, earning one back from her niece.

"Although it would have been fun if you came along." Siddharth said sweetly, his genuineness could be visibly heard, laced in his tone.

"Nice try Sid, but I'm sorry." She smiled at her younger cousin, ruffling his hair softly while he grinned.

"Well at least he's nice with someone." Payal muttered in amusement, giving Khushi a caring look. She ignored the slight pang of jealousy that threatened to come her way upon seeing everyone fuss over Khushi. Khushi had always been the better one, and always would be. She wondered, would she ever be good enough?

"I'm nice with you Payal. Just not to your face." Siddharth said as he shoved some more food in his already full mouth.

"Chee Siddharth! Outside you are some big business man...if people saw how disgusting you were at home!" Madhumati scolded, making him and Payal laugh loudly. Khushi couldn't help but join in after some time, and even Madhumati followed. It was not everyday she saw all her children like this; she prayed that they remained so for the rest of their lives.

-------------------------------

Back in New York, Lavanya had grown so very fond of her in-laws during the small amount of time she had spent so far. Perhaps the circumstances, under which she had gotten married, were not the best. However, the end result was shaping up. Everyone was remarkably acquiring. And even she desired to be accepted. She thoroughly attempted to blend in. The new change in her own being had terrified her excessively, where was the spoilt Lavanya Kashyap who had dreams and aspirations of being a model? Of heading her way through fame someday? Because as she brushed her chair gently, sitting in front of her large mirror, she saw Mrs. Lavanya Raizada. The red in her parting and the necklace that hung low on her neck all signs of a married woman, a wife...and a future mother. What scared her the most was that she was happy with all of this. Well, she would either rail against the rain or feel sanguine about the snow. And she was carrying out the latter. Perhaps this was what fate had in store for her all along.