Chapter 9 - Uncovered

"NK, it's about my past" said Khushi.

"Not again Khush! How many times do I have to tell you? Your past doesn't matter to me anymore; I already know everything I need to. You're only stressing yourself by talking about this, and I won't let you do that. Only one thing matters, do you care about me Khushi?" he asked while cupping her face in his hands.

"Yes, you know that I do NK, but-" she started to say, but he cut her off.

"Then I don't need to hear anything else" said NK with a smile.

"No, NK you don't understand, I need to tell you this" Khushi insisted.

"Fine, if you feel like you need to tell me, then you can. But I honestly don't care about what you did, or who you were with. And I especially don't want to hear anything about that man...because if I find out who he is, I will hunt him down and I swear to god Khushi, Ill kill him" NK said in a dangerously low voice.

Khushi was suddenly frightened because NK was rarely this angry and scary looking. He was always the happy-go-lucky type, but only certain things really upset him, Khushi's past being one of them.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to react like that. It's just...it makes me really angry. I'm really sorry" he reached out for her, and she flinched. It finally hit her. What if he found out about Arnav, and hurt him? His own brother'? No, she wouldn't do that; she couldn't break two brothers apart.

"Did I scare you, Khushi? I'm such an idiot! I'm sorry, I promise not to act like that again, just don't cry. You know I can't bear that" he said in a regretful voice. She grabbed him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"NK'" she said sobbing into his shirt. What was she supposed to do now?

"Shhh its okay, don't cry. I'm sorry, do you forgive me? NK asked.

"It's not your fault NK, its not you" Khushi mumbled into his neck. It was all her fault.

"Okay, how about we end this discussion right here, right now? C'mon, it's Ma and Babuji's wedding anniversary!! If we're sly enough, I can probably sneak you some cake from the kitchen! How does that sound?" he asked grinning widely and winking at her.

Khushi laughed in between her tears and hugged NK tighter. He had the capacity to put a smile on her face, even in the most difficult of situations. Everything he did, it was to make her happy.

---

As the party was about to start, all the family members had to enter in a special manner. First Nani had descended the stairs, and then Anjali and Shyam descended the stairs gracefully, with arms linked and happy smiles.

Arnav watched from the bottom of the stairs as Khushi and NK descended the stairs smiling at each other lovingly, hand in hand. He gripped the glass in his hands so tight, surprised at the fact that it hadn't broken yet. She looked gorgeous, dressed to perfection. He didn't remember seeing her much in traditional clothes during high school, maybe once or twice at family parties, but she was something totally different now. In his favourite colour, the red sari outlining her body perfectly, jewellery complimenting her, especially the bangles adorning her arms, which made him smile. He looked at her face, glowing with happiness and suddenly he felt himself calm down, and felt his heart melt. What he wouldn't do, to see her happy.

Finally, Mami and Mamaji came down the stairs, while everyone clapped and congratulated them for their happy married life.

"Arnav, how about we go somewhere else? This is so boring!" whispered Lavanya in his ears.