Chapter 28 - Allegations

Lavanya Kashyap felt a whirlwind of fear, and maybe even slight excitement. She saw Anjali fix her veil atop her head through the mirror, and Khushi was already pinning it securely in place.

"You look beautiful Lavanya." Anjali smiled.

"Thank you Anjali."

"Call me Di." Anjali said, squeezing her shoulder. "We are going to be family today, after all."

Lavanya felt herself nodding happily, the sensation of acceptance was a great one.

"Khush, I'm going to check how everything is downstairs. You sit with Lavanya." Anjali said, already on her way out.

Lavanya's friends were all gathered in her room, giggling and smiling in excitement for their friend. Soon after, they had left as well to go see what was happening downstairs.

Moments later, it was just the two of them. Khushi was still in the process of pinning something, as Lavanya watched her quietly.

"I'm sorry." Lavanya said suddenly, making Khushi stop her movements.

"Sorry? For what?"

"I ruined everything, didn't I?" Lavanya asked.

"It's your wedding day, what's done is done." Khushi gave her a small smile.

"No, it's not okay; I've been a terrible person. You wouldn't understand Khushi; you're too giving for your own good." Lavanya stated.

"None of that matters right now, what's the point of bringing all of this up and spoiling your mood Lavanya? You are entering your married life today, forget everything else." Khushi said.

Lavanya stared in slight amazement at the woman in front of her; she did not understand how one could be forgiving.

"Khushi, can I ask you something?"

"Mhmm." Khushi murmured.

"Why are you still here?"

Khushi's hands stilled atop Lavanya's veil.

"Sorry, that came out wrong. What I meant to ask is, after everything that has happened, do you think it's really helping? I don't mean to sound rude...I'm just-"

"It's okay, I get it. I don't mind you asking." Khushi replied meekly. "Well, I thought this was helping NK, that's what he wanted. He wanted support. But I guess that didn't work out so well after all..."

"He told me what happened. What he said, I mean." Lavanya said.

Khushi stared for a second, and then looked away. "Look Lavanya, I know that you both are getting married. And you both will share things with one another, and I'm so happy to hear that he has opened up to you. However, I would prefer not talking about this right now." Khushi said politely.

"I'm sorry for bringing it up; I just wanted to say that...the longer you stay here, the more it will confuse NK. Think about it, you can have everything you want with Arnav, it would be perfect. I don't want to assume things, but I feel as if you always had feelings for him anyways, but NK was just that guy who made you feel like you can love again. Can you really deny that?" Lavanya asked.

Khushi felt her shoulders stiffen in slight irritation. "Perfect? Nothing is perfect Lavanya, especially not with me. You're right not to assume things." Khushi said, as nicely as possible.

"I didn't mean it like that." Lavanya said apologetically. "I'm just saying, you don't need to stay here and torture yourself. You should go away after all this'it would be better for both you and NK."