Chapter 19 - Infallibility

Arnav's eyes flew wide open, what was he about to do?

He stumbled backwards, mentally hitting himself for his immature behaviour. He needed to learn to control his desire for Khushi.

He glanced at her once more, her cheeks and nose stained the prettiest hue of red, her hazel eyes wide and shocked, her hands gripping her sides.

"I should go get that." He muttered.

She nodded.

He took long strides towards the door, and opened it to see none other than his brother, NK.

"Arnav, have you talked..." NK stopped upon seeing Khushi. "Oh. She's here."

Khushi composed herself and looked at him, ignoring all else.

He looked...different. Still NK, but with something amiss. His skin seemed transparent; there was no happy glow to it. His hair was not in the neat style he usually put it in, it was messy.

But then he smiled, and it spread slowly and warmly across his face, highlighting the dimple in his chin. And she felt her heart melt.

"Khushi, you're here." He said nervously.

"Hi NK. How have you been?" She asked as Arnav, NK and herself stood at different distances rather awkwardly.

"I'm...good. Can we talk Khushi?"

There was complete silence for many moments before Arnav spoke up.

"Maybe I should leave." Arnav frowned. NK nodded in appreciation, as Khushi stood there helplessly, not quite sure of what to do.

He closed the door behind him, and Khushi watched as NK approached her slowly.

"I -"

"Don't. Just don't say anything. Let me go first." She began as she led him to a nearby chair and sat with him. "NK, we've been through a lot. 3 years is no short span of time, you've been the greatest companion I could have asked for throughout the past years. I know, I should have told you the truth. I should have revealed everything to you the night I found out. But I didn't, and I'm terribly sorry. But that doesn't mean what you did was right." Khushi spoke softly.

"I know. I -"

"So tell me, why have you been doing this to yourself lately?" She gestured to his state. "Alcohol? What the hell do you think you're doing?" She asked.

"Khushi, I know it was a dumb decision. I've been making a lot of them lately. I just...I'm miserable Khush."

"So you start drinking? How is that supposed to help you?"

"I don't know...it helps me forget. It takes it away the guilt. I can't live with myself knowing you hate me."

"Where on earth did you get that idea from NK?" She asked incredulously.

"I just assumed..."

"Well quit assuming things NK! Look what it's done." She snapped.

He looked down, ashamed of himself once more.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to say it like that. But you really shouldn't assume NK, you know me better than that."

"So...you're saying you don't hate me?"

"I feel like laughing right now. Of course I don't hate you NK; I could never hate you. I've been thinking and...in fact I've forgiven you." She smiled.