Chapter 20 - Confessions

NK sat across from Lavanya. He didn't understand, as if his brain short-circuited and needed to be rebooted. Around him, everything was in fast-forward while he was motionless and in the middle of it all. How could this happen?

He recalled the words that had just escaped from her mouth and stared at her, the wide limpid pools of her dark eyes staring right back at him.

"How...?"

"That night...when we..." She muttered nervously. "We didn't use..."

"I know. I remember." He said with a blank expression on his face. "Are you absolutely sure? Sometimes..."

"I've taken the test three times. And it's always been positive."

NK nodded in understanding. What had he done? He ruined everything and that too with his own hands...

What about her life? He had ruined that too.

What about his own? His relationship with Khushi, his love for her...

Everything was over, within such a short span of time.

"Lavanya, whatever your decision is...I will support you. This shouldn't have happened in the first place. That night was not supposed to have happened. I should have..." He struggled to find words. "This is a big deal, and it will affect not only you and me, but our families as well." He said with a lump forming in his throat.

"I thought about it. You're right, it is a big deal. I'll be letting go of everything... my career in m modeling that I have dreamed of since I was a little girl. It's your choice whether you want to support me or not, you can be as involved as you wish NK." She said. "But I know my decision. I want to keep this baby...our baby." Her hands went to touch the invisible bump.

And in that moment, the world had suddenly stopped, all noises ceased from being heard as realization hit him.

He was going to be a father.

-----------

Arnav and Khushi made themselves comfortable in the lush grandeur of the restaurant as they got seated to the assigned reserved spot.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

Arnav, who pulled in the chair for himself looked at her suddenly and cocked his head to one side. "What do you mean? I'm getting seated." He said casually.

"You know that's not what I mean. Just this afternoon, you were telling me to move on with NK, and now you're here?"

"I guess I haven't changed much from my teen years. Still unable to make up my mind." He smiled.

Khushi glared at him in return.

"You were right; I shouldn't be forcing you into anything. I know I told you to be with NK, and I haven't changed my mind about it. I still think he's the better option; he's the right guy for you. But if that's not what you want, then why should I push you? Anyways, you should do what you want to. I'm here because there was an emergency and NK had to be somewhere. So I came...for you." He stated simply.

Khushi was not expecting his sudden blatant confession. Why was he always so confusing? Some things never changed. But she was happy he understood nonetheless.

"Anyways, I thought we could just talk." He suggested.

"About?"

"Anything. Everything. Whatever happened to just talking? We don't have to make things difficult anymore," Arnav said.