Chapter 14 - Reality

Khushi entered the apartment while wiping her tears. She was so busy thinking about herself that she hadn't realized how much Arnav suffered in all this. She dropped her belongings on a nearby table, and walked into her bedroom for some much needed rest. Instead she found NK sitting there, his head in his hands.

"NK...? Wh...What are you doing here?" she stuttered.

He raised his head, and she saw his red rimmed bloodshot eyes.

"How could you?" he whispered. "How could you keep something like this from me Khushi?" he asked.

"NK just hear me out for a second" she said as calmly as she could possibly manage. Suddenly he got up and threw all the decorations he had put up, to the floor. Khushi began to shake seeing his anger.

"I can't believe this...it's not true" he muttered and held her by the shoulders. "Please tell me, it's not true is it? Arnav isn't that man...he can't be" he said to himself. "And you would have never kept something like this from me! I'm imagining all this aren't I? Tell me Khush, this is all a misunderstanding isn't it?" he shook her.

"NK...I'm sorry" she cried. "I wanted to tell you...but I couldn't. How could I ruin your relationship with your brother?" she asked.

"I can't believe this...you knew and you didn't tell me" he said.

"NK you have to understand-"

"No! You have to understand. I had every right to know, and you kept such a big secret from me?" he exclaimed.

"NK I tried telling you-"

"I did everything for you Khushi. I love you more than my own self! Don't you know that? I've helped you throughout everything; my sole aim was to make you happy. So how could you do this to me...to us? After all you've been through; after all we've been through'" Khushi was at a loss for words. After all, what could she possibly say to make this situation any better, to make her NK feel any better? She had betrayed him - in the worst possible sense. And that too, in a way that made it seem like she was doing this for his brother."Now I get it...this was all your plan wasn't it? You were hoping to get close to Arnav through me, weren't you!?" he yelled.

"No! I know that I shouldn't have kept this from you, but NK how can you even think that...?" she asked.

"You know Khushi; I don't know what the hell to think right now. Just stay away from me" he let go of her and left.

"NK wait!" she yelled as she followed him out and tried to grab his arms, but he threw her hands away.

---

Arnav's driver had dropped his car off at the front of Khushi's building. He glanced at the sky one last time and observed the starry night, thinking about what fate held in store for him and Khushi. What if he never got his happiness? He made his way to open the door of his car when he was suddenly turned around and that was the moment where he felt the blow to the face.

He stumbled backwards from the shock. NK then grabbed his collar and said in a dangerously low voice "You did this to her. All along, it was you"

"NK what...what are you talking about?" Arnav was astonished at their current positions, and fearful of what NK would say next.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. I can't believe I was stupid enough not to connect the dots. It all makes sense now".

By now, Khushi had caught up to them, and Arnav saw her tear stained face.
"Khushi?" Arnav tried to reach out to her but NK came in between.

"Don't. Not in front of me. You guys don't have to put up this act anymore, I know everything! You both lied to me, and I'll never forgive you for that. Never".

"NK please don't do this. You can punish me, but Arnav has no fault in this. In fact he wanted to tell you. Just hear us out, we can explain, please don't leave in anger!" Khushi pleaded.

"Just stop. Don't pretend like you care Khushi! I bet you had this all planned" NK said bitterly.

"NK, now that's enough! You have no reason to accuse Khushi like that. It's not her fault!" Arnav shot back. He knew he was to be blamed here. He deserved the punch, but she didn't.

"Aw, standing up for the girl you rejected now are you?" NK sneered.

"NK, look you're just really angry right now, and it's justified. You need to cool down, and look at this with a cool mind" Arnav tried to comfort him.

"Leave me alone. Both of you" and NK turned to get into his car, and drove away - not once heeding to Khushi's pleas.

---

NK drove, not bothering to distinguish where. Anger filled his senses and blurred his vision. He ended up stopping at a nearby bar. He entered and ordered a drink for himself. This was what he wanted; he needed to forget everything for some time.
He wanted to forget Khushi, the love of his life. Arnav, the root of all her problems, yet his own brother. He had ruined everything. If he remembered all the times Arnav had talked about that supposed woman he loved, he would have never guessed that it was his very own Khushi. How could they both keep something like this from him? Didn't he have a right to know? Betrayal. That was the sensation he was undergoing at the moment. Flashbacks of her overflowed his mind. Her face, her smile, her eyes...Khushi, I love you. The alcohol started to penetrate his system. He was slightly aware of the uncontrollable tears in his eyes. Maybe he was wrong in accusing her like that? Maybe she was just thinking of his family before everything else? Maybe he said too much in anger? Maybe he should go back and hear her out? Maybe none of this was her fault, and he was taking out his anger towards Arnav on Khushi? Maybe.

He felt a tap on his shoulder, and turned around to see Lavanya's smiling face.

"NK!? What are you doing here? Oh my goodness, you don't look too good! Are you okay?" she asked, pulling a stool beside him.

"I'm not really in the mood to talk right now" he said.

"Let me guess...it has to do with Arnav and Khushi? Have you finally realized there's something going on between them?" she questioned.

"So you know too? Great, looks like I'm the idiot again" he laughed mockingly.

"You're not an idiot NK. Sometimes we do everything we can, and it's still not enough. They seem to have this really complex past that they can't seem to run from. I wouldn't blame them if I were you" she said.

He took another finished the rest of his drink before the tears that were on the verge of falling, spilled out.

"She's everything to me Lavanya! Even after finding out that she hid such a big secret from me, I don't even know what to think. What do I do? I can't lose her'"

"NK, do what makes you feel good. For once, stop thinking about everyone else. Think about yourself right now. You're not alone in this" she smiled. She then reached out and held his hand, and he returned a small smile.

----

As soon as NK left, Khushi broke down and Arnav was there to catch her.

"I should have told him everything Arnav. But I just didn't want to ruin your relationship. Not just you and him, but it would affect the whole family as well!" she sobbed.

"Khushi, I understand why you did it. And I'm sure NK does too, he's just really upset right now. Think about it, he probably feels like his own girlfriend and brother have betrayed him. We'll tell him everything when he's calmed down, okay?" he comforted her. He couldn't bear seeing her like this, because despite everything the truth had just hit him - she truly did love NK. He would have to find him and fix things.

"Okay" she whispered. "But Arnav, he's really angry right now. What if he does something...or gets hurt..."

"Don't worry, nothing will happen to him. I promise we'll find him. I'm sure he hasn't gone far, let's go look for him" Arnav pulled her to her feet and they got into the car and sped away.

-------

NK awoke to the sun rays hitting his eyes. His head throbbed and his throat was parched. He felt someone sleeping next to him, and smiled. He turned and mumbled "Khushi". Except it wasn't Khushi sleeping beside him. It was Lavanya.