C h a p t e r 16

Zander Holland
December 11, 2019
6:30 p.m

I looked through the rear view mirror seeing Karter jump up in down in her booster seat as I turned into my mamas drive way. Today was another family dinner night and I couldn't wait to just chill with my family for the night.

"You ready to see grandpa baby girl?" I looked into the mirror seeing her nodding her head rapidly. My dad was finally home from going around the country doing shows and workout videos demonstrating his new fitness video that he just released to the public.

I opened the back door unbuckling Karter from the booster seat lifting her into my arms closing the door behind me. I placed her down on her feet causing her to run to the front door while I made sure my car was locked.

Walking up to the front door I watched as Karter jumped around waiting for me to open the door for her. It was no surprise to me that she couldn't wait to see her paw paw because she been in love with him since the day she was born. He was her favorite person in the world because he spoiled her and took her all over the city.

Opening the door the smell off fried chicken hit my nose causing my stomach to growl unintentionally. Karter ran past my brothers on the sofa and jumped straight on her paw paw. I chuckled to myself before closing the door,

"What's good Willie." I smirked to myself knowing Kam hated his middle name. He always claimed that mama was on drugs whenever she gave both him and Ace their middle names.

"How ya doing Reginald." I dapped up Ace causing him to trip me as I walked past him on the couch.

"Fool I should punch ya in ya shit knowing I hate that name." He smacked his lips folding his arms in aggravation.

"What I told your dumbass about cursing in my house. You never too grown lil boy." I watched as my dad smacked him upside his head while holding Karter in the other hand.

"My bad pops. But what mama cooking tonight?" He rubbed his hands together while licking his lips.

"You got two feet. Better get off ya ass and go in the kitchen to ask her." I shook my head before heading to the kitchen to see what pots my mama had on the stove.

I walked up placing a kiss on her cheek and rubbed my large hands over her small afro. I watched as she turned around quick slapping me in the back of my head.

"Boy, how many times do I have to tell you to stop touching my hair." She swung the dish towel at me before turning back to her pots.

"What you cooking tonight mama?" I looked over her to see what was in the pot, but she quickly covered it and turned around with a smirk on her face.

"If you don't get ya grown ass away. But ya daddy wanted jambalaya, white beans, and some rolls. He also wanted some homemade lemon cake."

I nodded before sitting at the bar stool just looking at my mama walk around the kitchen. I been had a lot on my mind and it seemed like I couldn't escape it. I knew the only person that would give me the advice I needed was my mama and I really needed it around this time.

"What's been going through your head Zander?" She turned around drying her hands giving me one of her bright smiles. "I felt your energy was off since you walked into this kitchen."

I shook my head before putting it down. I didn't even know where to start, but I had to start somewhere.

"This girl had been on my mind a lot lately. Every time I talk to her she just brightens my day. No matter what was going on, she just knew how to put a smile on my face." I smiled to myself before wiping my hand over my face.