11

I watched the town watch us. It was the annual tree lighting ceremony in the middle of the park, and it was the first time since my mother died that I felt happy to go.

Charlie and I were standing to the side, the mayor, who was an older dragon wanted to keep up the tourist attractions and this was one of the ones everyone, even the locals loved.

"I like this." Charlie whispered to me and I just turned and smiled up at him.

"My mom loved bringing me here. We came every year. We would get here early and she would let me play at the kid park, and as we got older we would just hang out and watch the humans gather around." I told him with a shrug. "I stopped coming after she died." Charlie held me tighter at the admission and kissed my neck before humming lightly as the mayor finished up with his speech about the Canned Food Drive and Toys for Tots.

He moved to plug in the tree lights and pictures went off and I turned to watch Charlie, his eyes were on the tree, his mouth open and he looked like a kid in a candy store. It made me wonder if he was able to celebrate as a kid.

"Hey Yasmin?" I turned at the sound of Darcy's voice and saw her and her best friend Callie walking over to us.

"Hey." I nodded and I saw they wanted to ask as their eyes shifted between me and Charlie. "What's up?" I asked and Callie sighed.

"You're mates right?" She asked me and I nodded. "And you're staying in the area?" I nodded once again and she sighed and looked to Darcy.

"What?" I asked and Darcy gulped before looking shy.

"My sister is spreading rumors. Telling people you hooked on to Charlie. That you're leaving town on his dime and willing to be his-" she cut herself off and shook her head. "Most people she has told don't believe it, but all of her friends that are in town are trying to make a buzz about it. I'm sorry. She's also trying to convince the mayor that if you leave she should be able to buy your moms old shop." She told me and I felt Charlie's hold on my body tighten just a bit and I immediately started to look around for Claire and Jason.

"They're not here. Claire made him take her to New York... to find a new wedding dress." She told me and I took a deep breath.

"Thanks for telling me. I'll try and talk to the mayor and tell him she was lying about me leaving." I told them and they nodded.

"I was also wondering... it's very insensitive but I live with Claire. And ever since you told her no she's taken it out on me..." I winced at the meaning and I saw her almost stop but Callie nudged her shoulder.0

"Just ask me." I encouraged and just waited for her to take a deep breath.

"The store has a storage space above it right? I was wondering since you said you're not making dresses anymore if I could rent that out... from you?" Darcy asked and looked almost sure I was going to say no.

"How much can you afford?" I asked her and she gulped.

"Not that much, I have been saving up for getting a place of my own but I'll try and pay you-"

"Darcy, I will take whatever you can spare. It doesn't have to be a set rate." I felt Charlie kiss my neck and I rubbed a hand over his on my stomach and Darcy seemed to take a deep breath. "Pack up your things and tomorrow I will help clear out the space for you." I told her and she rushed to hug me.

"Thank you so much!" She whispered and pulled back before looking over her shoulder to Callie.

"How about 10am?" I asked and she nodded right away and Callie's smile grew a bit more. "I have to admit that it's not clean and I'll probably still have a lot of boxes in like a corner or something." I warned and she shrugged right away.