08 | words

08 | WORDS

08 | WORDS

HER HEART was beating an unimaginable amount of beats with a speed that she could not envisage because of his glare.

Chase stared at her with an intense amount of exasperation, heavier than the last time of how they met their gaze. She knew she had to cut the strings coming from him while staring at her because it was almost reaching the soul of her eyes, but she could not. She could not help herself, but stared at him with the same intensity and flames in her eyes.

His eyes were riveted on her. She could not win the staring game they have, but she will not lose.

"Chase!" sigaw naman ng katabi niya at napabitaw kaagad siya nang tingin sa lalaki.

Maglalakad pa sana si Clark palapit kay Chase nang marinig niya ang boses ng inang papalapit.

"Precious, buti na lang hindi ka basa!"

"Ma!"

She welcomed her mother with a hug and kissed her cheeks afterwards. Her mother also kissed her cheeks with restraint.

"Ayos ka lang ba? Hindi ka ba basa ng ulan?" tanong ng kaniyang ina na puno ng pag-aalala at kinakapa pa ang katawan nito.

Umiling naman siya.

"Hinatid ako ni Clark, Ma!" sagot niya at tiningnan si Clark.

Ramdam niya ang pagbaling ng ina sa katabi niya.

Clark stood up suavely and bowed at ninety degrees.

"Magandang gabi po!" bati niya at tumayo ng maayos. He extended his hands to her mother and said, "I'm Clark Tristan Guevarra po, Precious' classmate and Chase's cousin."

Her mother accepted his hand and shook their hands.

"Nice to meet you, boy! Salamat at hinatid mo ang anak ko ng kompleto at buo pa," her mother said with a smile on her face.

Clark scratched his nape and chuckled.

"Walang kaso, Tita."

Binitawan naman nito ang kamay niya at tiningnan siya. Her mother held her cheeks tenderly. She closed her eyes and felt the warmth on her mother's palm.

"You look like you're not okay yet," her mother said, almost a whisper.

She opened her eyes and stared at her mother's orbs. It reflects anxiety and worries for her. She tenderly kissed her mother's forehead and said, "Don't worry, Ma. I can still handle this."

Her mother kissed her cheeks and hugged her.

Pagkatapos nilang magyakapan at mag-usap, inaya naman ng ina niya si Clark na uminom muna ng mainit na inumin.

Nakangiti lamang siya habang nakasunod ang mga tingin sa kanilang dalawa. Clark sat beside Chase and they talked. Chase was not looking at her so she sighed in relief.