10 | ambience

10 | AMBIENCE

10 | AMBIENCE

HIS COLD and the aquatic smell of perfume were occupying every space of his car, and it was filling the insanity of her soul that made her heart race even more.

The smell was familiar, like the scent of her favourite cologne she used. It brought calm after the storm.

Being alone with Chase was a total privilege. She has told herself about this multiple times, but to smell him freely and offering her a ride was a special privilege that others may not be able to have.

Hindi niya alam kung ano ang nangyayari at ang mahirap pa ay hindi niya mabasa ang lalaki. Bakit naman siya nito ihahatid sa school niya? Isn't that convenient, plus mahal ang gasolina? It may be convenient for her because she was able to save her money, but how about this man? Sure, it would have been expensive, yet the man insisted earlier and they even had a talk. Was that even a talk?

The car finally stopped, but her heart never stopped beating wildly. It was accompanying her anxieties and feelings that wanted to blend with his colour. A gush of silence had crossed between them. The only thing she could hear was their breath as if they were in a cage and thirsty for something. It was becoming intense until Chase broke the silence between them.

"We're here!" He leaned on the steering wheel while eyes were fixated on the road.

Mabilis niyang inalis ang seatbelt at binuksan na kaagad ang pintuan. She could not stay here for so long because something might happen again. Her cheeks were starting to warm up and she knew she had to go out as soon as she opened the door.

"Gusto mo ng tulong?" Chase asked with his voice that almost sounded like a whisper.

Like a young girl who was in love with a guy, it sent shivers down her spine. She is already eighteen and this was the time that she had to think carefully about things like this, but she felt like a fourteen year old who had puppy love.

"No, I can manage," she answered.

Her hands were trembling and she was panicky while trying to open the door. She doesn't know why she was being like this in front of the man she had multiple embarrassing moments with. She had this feeling she would do embarrassing behaviour, but she finally opened the door.

Nang makalabas, inayos niya kaagad ang sarili at isasara na sana ang pintuan nang marinig niyang magsalita si Chase.

"Have a nice day, Precious!"

She was startled and suddenly became a stone in her place. Nag-init ang kaniyang mga pisngi at napakagat siya ng kaniyang pang-ibabang labi.

This was the first time she heard her name from him. Hindi niya akalain kilala pala siya ng lalaki. She thought all the time that Chase has no interest in her, almost like he never wanted to know her name, until she heard it today.